Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Serve Bread With Your Main Meal?

We never had bread on the table when I was growing up.  It was for sandwiches.  I remember when my husband ate with us the first time we sat down and he said "Where's the bread?"  We all looked at one another like What?  BREAD?  Is he gonna make a sandwich out of that roast?  

That was really funny.   

Regular Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I really do not make real meals since I live alone but I do love  garlic bread with spaghetti

I am with you. My son has his college classes twice a week and he doesn't get home until after 10pm so I am alone for dinner often. I don't usually have bread with dinner unless I am having a sandwich or pasta of some sort.

Super Contributor

Just have to throw in a quick family story-------my gramps came to live with us when he was in his 90's and at meal times always looked for the bread basket. He felt that it wasn't "supper" or rather a "proper supper" unless there was a green vegetable and bread.......wow--- haven't thought of that in a long time !!!!!
Respected Contributor

I'm a bread-aholic. I'd rather eat bread than anything (well, except desserts). 

My parents served bread at every meal. My Dad would say "bread is the staff of life." 

I guess I could blame them for my addiction lol.

Honored Contributor

Never.

I grew up with bread at every meal. And we consumed it, lol. As an adult, I cut out grains a few years back to aid with weight-loss after doing quite a bit of research (and writing a few papers on it). Never looked back. I also started to notice that when I included bread with meals, it wasn't touched by anyone in my family. So, why offer it if no one is going to eat it? Understand that I make my own bread so the time spent doing that and then have it wasted....no more.

I offer rolls at holiday meals 50-50 as to whether they'll be eaten. Overall, we don't consume bread/grains that much in general now.

Esteemed Contributor

Once a week when I cook Italian.I serve it with garlic bread.