Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Have Leftover's Night?

When my husband and I are home alone, I cook simple things we like, and it's usually just enough for 2 meals.  

Our fridge has more leftovers when trucker daughter is home for several days and I'm cooking her favorite foods.   Even tho I send a generous plate home with her boyfriend every night, it's not unusual for her to be back on the road 3 days and we're still finishing up a meatloaf, a roast, stuffed peppers, chicken and dumplings, etc.  

Respected Contributor

We make extra just so we can have leftovers.   My husband and  I do not always eat the same thing. One night he might have one thing and I have something else.  We love that.  He might be in the kitchen doing his thing and me doing mine.

I like to eat earlier and I am on a diet/health kick right now.  Gained 15 and so far lost 10.  I also am still working and he is retired.  

The other night I made fish I received from QVC and made two because I figured he would like and if not I would have for lunch.  Well he sure enjoyed that and  so that night  the same.  That is how we roll.    We love that freedom and no more kids to worry about feeding.

My husband always did the cooking until his health went down hill.  He doesn't make the dishes that take forever like he use to but that is ok too.  We don't eat like that any more either.   I was always the one who helped with the prep work and of course the clean up.  He always did the pots and pans.  

When we make too much our daughter and family benefits and they live next door.  They do the grilling.  They love our spaghetti and meatballs and other dishes we make.  So we have fun with our meals.  Today is her birthday and grilling out.   Grandkids always know where to go for a snack.

Honored Contributor

I live alone and never cook so for me, zero nights.

When my husband was alive and we did cook enough for leftovers, 2 nights was it for us.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

We don't usually have leftover night at home because we take that extra portion to my elderly Aunt. If we still have leftovers after taking care of her, we tend to eat them for lunch. 

Ironically, DH and I are at the Outer Banks until Friday and just a few minutes ago decided that we need to have a leftover night this week. So we'll be "eating out the fridge" on Monday to prevent throwing food away. 

Respected Contributor

Typically in my household, no more than 2 times.  Especially for my husband.  He tires of leftovers very quickly.  

Honored Contributor

Just me and DD  to cook for, so I don't make a ton of any meal, but do have enough for DD's lunch as well as mine. And maybe even one more for snacks. Never was a big fan of leftovers-----some things taste great after acouple days--and alot of meat does not--pork comes to mind. Soups/chili , I make in bigger quantity tho. I love a good soup or chili!!!

Honored Contributor

A couple nights a week.

Esteemed Contributor

I purposefully make one meal to last two days ... at least for my spouse. We don't always eat the same thing and he's very open to most leftovers. Depending on what it is ... usually just one day of leftovers. Next week I'm making chicken enchiladas and it always lasts for two dinners and maybe a lunch.

The one meal that could go w/ two days of leftovers is turkey and stuffing. The hubby LOVES that meal and he will eat it for a total of 3 days. Even then, there might be stuffing left to throw in freezer. I will pull out when I do a chicken dish and he is so happy.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@Sooner, you and I are the same when it comes to leftovers. 

Concerning leftover greens, I'm in agreement, but something you said about them piqued my interest: "freeze for later".

What is this madness/magic?! Please tell!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini Sure!  We just freeze the cooked leftovers with some juice and have them later.  We eat them with beans and cornbread, or put them in soups.  They are so good for you!  And we squeeze the juice out and use them in lasagna layers too.  

@sabatini wrote:

@Sooner, you and I are the same when it comes to leftovers. 

Concerning leftover greens, I'm in agreement, but something you said about them piqued my interest: "freeze for later".

What is this madness/magic?! Please tell!