Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Have Fruit On Lettuce Salad?

@RedTop wrote:

NEVER.  I only eat apples, bananas, mandarin oranges, peaches, and white grapes.  I like jam made from berries, but never eat berries.   I am not a fan of salads.  

@RedTop Blueberries don't taste like anything to me--hubby loves them. Strawberries are ok and I am wild about raspberries!!!!!  I love green salads with vinegar only now.  

Esteemed Contributor

I eat salad regularly and put craisins on most of them.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite salad is baby spinach topped with mandarin oranges and a chopped hard boiled egg.  whatever kind of salad dressing I have on hand.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

When my husband was alive, I made fruit salad with a curry dressing and chutney on the side.

(I wouldn't bother for just myself.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Never. Absolutely never. I'm 62 and that's what salads were when I was growing up. In my house anyway. Lettuce, a half canned peach on to and sour cream (I think). Some walnuts. It was always iceberg lettuce, some canned fruit, some white glopped on top and sometimes a maraschino cherry or walnuts. My mom actually spent a lot of time on the salads. I never ate them, they made me queezy. Now I know why. I was about 30 before I discovered how great and healthy salads can be.

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:
Mom's green jello salad with a glob of mayo in the middle, might have been pistachio.
I think I blocked those green jello salads   from my mind...lol. My mom made those in a ring with a glob of mayo or cottage cheese  in the center and walnuts on top.  

Valued Contributor

My sweet Mom made these. Pineapple or pear with mayo and cheese grated on top of lettuce. As a child I didn't understand why lettuce was under it all. I thought maybe just for decoration. Now I love it and @ECGB you have inspired my to make it again. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:
@luvmyteddy4 wrote:
Mom's green jello salad with a glob of mayo in the middle, might have been pistachio.
I think I blocked those green jello salads   from my mind...lol. My mom made those in a ring with a glob of mayo or cottage cheese  in the center and walnuts on top.  

@chrystaltree     My "first" MIL made something that looked like a turtle.....

A canned pear half, covered with cream cheese, with halved black olives studding the top.   It was hard to even LOOK AT, let alone eat....   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

If I ever have a salad that includes fruit, it would regularly include tomato in some form (sliced, cherry, Campari, grape.  There are times when I'll have some fresh berries, but those salads don't have tomato.  

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:
@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

@chrystaltree     My "first" MIL made something that looked like a turtle.....

A canned pear half, covered with cream cheese, with halved black olives studding the top.   It was hard to even LOOK AT, let alone eat....   di

To me this sounds like an absolute nightmare concoctiom, my god.