Honored Contributor

How Much Is Your Cooking Like What You Ate As A Child?

When I was a child and we lived on a farm, we were right across the driveway from my grandparents.

We had a huge family farm.

I grew up eating lots of vegetables, wilded salad (mayo, vinegar, a touch of sugar, and lots of ruffled lettuce) with spring onions, fresh tomatoes, wedge salads, fruit on a lettuce leaf with grated cheese, green beans, and corn.  Meats were either broiled, pan fried, or fried in "fat back" and Crisco like fried chicken; rabbit, squirrel, vineson and stews added to that in the winter.  My grandmother loved to make pound cakes and fruit pies.

In the winter add all types of greens, and dried beans (which I have never liked).

Today I eat more seafood, a tossed salad as a main dish or part of a meal, pot roast, and grilled items and stir fry.  I still do fruit on a lettuce leaf with cheese, tossed in place of wedge salads.

In winter, swiss steak, stews in the crockpot, green beans, greens, and a lot of steamed vegies.

Desserts most often are on an occasion.

Trusted Contributor

Re: How Much Is Your Cooking Like What You Ate As A Child?

We ate lots of fresh fruits and vegetables since we had a big garden and my grandparents who lived next to us also had a giant garden.  we also had appple trees, grape vines, lots of raspberry bushes, two cherry trees, etc.   Whenever we wanted a snack, my mother always said go get and apple off the tree or a tomato out of the garden or some thing like that.  My grandmother also had a cold cellar where she stored the potates that they grew and other home canned items.  

I still eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies in the summer and fall especially (get most from a local farmers market).  I do eat some of the same dishes that my mother served, but I make them in a more healthy way such as I almost never fry foods and I don't use things like crisco.  I also seldom eat red meat. 

Honored Contributor

I eat a lot less meat now days. I hardly ever eat beef, I just don't care that much for it anymore. We did always have a lot of vegetables and not much dessert, so that hasn't changed.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Today, not as much wonderful beef (but still enough beef to keep me happy); few fried foods, as in childhood; lots of veggies and low fat like mom cooked.  No wild quail, duck or squirrel,  and not as much fresh-caught fish like catfish and crappie.  But we eat a lot of salt water fish now, and a lot of salmon.

It is different because of new flavors like more Mexican/Tex-Mex, lots of Asian foods like stir frys, and Indian and MIddle Eastern food, which we didn't have when I was growing up.  We eat more eggs now than we did then. We also try to eat more oil than I did as a kid, good-for-you oils, and we drink way more water and fewer sodas.  Tea?  We were always big on tea when I was growing up!  ICED!  NO sugar in it!

Trusted Contributor

My mom worked full time so we had more processed food. Because of that I choose to be a stay at home mom so we eat mostly homemade food. My grandkids live across the street and I hear a knock on my front door and Thier there to see what grandma has to eat. Love it.

Respected Contributor

Little to none.  

My focus is on fresh, clean, organic food/meals.

Also my food allergies and sensitivities have soared- forcing my change in habits.

I have always been more willing to try/experiment with recipes and ingredients than my mother.

Honored Contributor

Not a whole lot -  today my usual meals are much plainer and smaller than those I remember from my childhood.  The closest I get are the summer meals composed entirely of what I bring home from the local farm stand - those meals are quite close to my mom's. 

Respected Contributor

My mother is a much better cook.  I can make basic dishes, but my Mom is more creative and a very good baker, too.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cook vastly differently from my mother. Dad was meat and potatoes with corn or peas as the vegetable and an occasional green bean. He liked blander foods and that was fine with Mom because she didn't like cooking that much anyway. She didn't want to deal with it and she certainly didn't want to try to teach her kids how to do much in the kitchen. (Don't get me wrong; Mom made great meat loaf, fried chicken, liver and onions, sponge cake, Old Black Joe cake, cinnamon flop, etc. I don't remember Mom using cake mixes. She could cook, but she didn't really experiment at all and I don't think she really enjoyed cooking.)

Me? I live to cook. I love everything about cooking and baking. We eat a good variety of foods, quite a bit of salmon and seafood, some chicken but not a lot of meat. Lots of fresh vegetables and I don't cook them to death. We raise our own vegetables in our little truck patch, so we know they're not chemically treated. 

We only eat homemade bread and buns, whole grains and whole wheat. We haven't eaten white bread or rolls in years. We just don't like the stuff anymore.

I try to be as creative as I can, whether I start to follow a recipe in a cookbook, but then veer away or mess around on my own. Cooking is how I relax after a busy day at work and I love being in the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

No.  We had a lot of meat growing up.  Now I hardly ever eat meat.  Like another said, my father liked everything bland.  I like spicy.