Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Is Your Cooking Like What You Ate As A Child?

[ Edited ]

We had beef virtually every night unless we ate out (which we did often) and even then I might have ordered a steak.  I cannot remember my mother ever cooking chicken -- don't know why.  

Vegetables were canned or frozen, other than potatoes, but we had plenty of fresh fruit available and lots of packaged cookies and other goodies:/

Honored Contributor

I grew up in Southern California.  Lots of fresh vegetables and fruit.  We at out a lot (Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, etc).  My mother did not like to cook and was not very good at it.  Everything seemed to have Campbell's soup in it.  She never baked anything.  The only sweets we got was on our birthdays and on holidays.  I still eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits but I try do clean eating and limit processed food.  I love to cook, often take classes and I am always trying new recipes.  

Honored Contributor

My ma boiled everything until it was gray.....to make sure all the germs were dead.    I'm quite the opposite................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I started cooking at a very early age, first at mom's side measuring and stirring and soaking up her techniques.  I started cooking more of the meals on my own by the time I nine or 10. 

Today I cook very much as I did years ago but with a wide variety of spices, seasonings, vinegars and such.   The flavors are definitely more sophisticated but the basics are intact.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

A lot. My Mom taught me everything I know - I loved helping her in the kitchen. I love cooking now. She used to throw this and that together sometimes and would taste yummy, no recipe needed. To this day, I still do that. I love creating my own dishes - MOST of the time , they come out good😉!! (Thanks Mom, you did good!!)

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

My mother was a fabulous, inspired cook, but her cuisine typically was more tasty/less healthy.

She used huge amounts of white flower, white sugar and butter, and cooked as my father liked his food, overlooked veggies, especially.

I eat mostly low carb, moderate protein, lots of veggies/nuts/.

Esteemed Contributor

My father was a meat and potatoes man and that's all my mother cooked. The menu was very limited...beef, baked potato, peas & carrots. I've never been a great fan of beef, and I love many different ethnic cuisines, so my cooking repertoire is much larger than that which I ate as a child.

Valued Contributor

My mom and grandma were awesome cooks.  Sunday dinner was usually pot roast or some kind of chicken.  I grew up eating fresh veggies.  Grandma made awesome pies..mom's idea of pie was Marie Callender's.

I do about half and half....meals like mom and grandma and then meals that I have picked up recipies for along the way.  We still eat a lot of fresh veggies and I can or freeze produce from our garden.  That way I know what went into the product. I have never been fond of bread but the rest of my family was.  DH still is.

I don't like to bake cakes, pies etc.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Some ways similar, some ways different. Similar in that we eat pretty basic things, nothing fancy and recipes are pretty basic.  

Different in that my mother was such a wonderful cook.  She knew how to make the cheapest cut of meat taste wonderful.  We had very little money but she used whatever she could afford and made things taste good.  You didn't always have what you wanted or especially liked to eat, but she made sure you had a good, warm, filling meal.

We had a small garden, and most of the neighbors did as well.  So, most people shared and traded things.  This meant we got a lot of fresh veges and fruit in the summer.

We did not get store bought cakes, pies, etc.  When you did have treats they were made by hand.

Now, we do a lot of store bought things and short cuts.  We still eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables but they mostly come from the store.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

My husband and I grew up on farms, with grandmothers who cooked 3 meals a day.  We are partial to roasted meats, fried potatoes, dried beans, summer vegetables and heavy breads.   We still eat a fair amount of venison, but haven't had fried squirrel or rabbit for at least 40 years.   

We still enjoy our favorite comfort foods on occasion, but have had to adjust to making wiser dietary choices.  We cook our meats and vegetables healthier, limit potatoes, pasta, and bread, and watch our sugars and fats.   We are open to healthier changes to the foods we like, but will always be partial to basic comfort food.