Honored Contributor

How Many Kinds of Pasta Do You Have on Hand NOW?

I am cleaning out the pantry and found I have:

Spaghetti

Angel Hair Spaghetti

Fettuccine

Penne

Rotini

Shells

Butterflys (Farfalle)

Thin noodles

Wide noodles

Fettuccine with Truffles in it

Lasagna noodles

Orzo

Elbow small

Elbow big

That's absurd.  Why do I have all these pastas?  I don't make THAT many things with pasta!  So I'm throwing out the shells, butterflys, and a couple of other things.  And I'm making a point of using a couple of others this week.  

What do I really need to keep on hand?  I'm trying to figure that out!  Any advice?  LOL!!!  I am going to whip my pantry into shape!  It's hard to figure out what to keep in stock and how many of each! I am the queen of canned tomatoes.  Any kind of canned tomato you want, I have!  But I use them often.  

Respected Contributor

Re: How Many Kinds of Pasta Do You Have on Hand NOW?

I have two boxes of farfalle and that's it. I put farfalle in my chicken soup and on days when I don't have a lot of time, I cook it up with garlic, summer savory, and Penzy's Pasta Sprinkle and then add some chicken and apple or Italian sausage in and toss with herbed olive oil.

Respected Contributor

Why would you throw it out? If you don't want it donate to a food pantry as many people need something to eat.

Valued Contributor

I’m miss my carbs! 😋

Esteemed Contributor

FoodBanks will not take opened containers of food.  I agree with OP - I just tossed half box of elbow mac - had been on the shelf for ages.  Local mission will no longer accept (brand new in package) small rugs - reason:  they got infested with donated carpet with bugs.

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

Why would you throw it out? If you don't want it donate to a food pantry as many people need something to eat.

@CLHS68  Because it's not unopened.  

Honored Contributor

carbs are life!  

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

I’m miss my carbs! 😋

Honored Contributor

I limit myself to three:  spaghetti, farfalle and penne.  Might buy noodles if I'm doing some sort of roast, which is seldom.

Honored Contributor

lol -  I have exactly one SERVING of pasta right now, but that's special circumstance.  I'm moving this week.  But even when I'm in place for 6 months, I try to keep the stuff down to 2 kinds - usually angel hair and either penne or rigatoni.  Sometimes I add macaroni -  I like my own mac and cheese better than anything commercial. and that goes for salad, too.

@SoonerI've never had all those pastas all at once in any of my homes, and now that I cook mostly just for myself, I'd have pasta for the rest of my life the way I use it.

Valued Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

I’m miss my carbs! 😋

(*I miss)