Honored Contributor

Re: How Long Do You Keep Deli Ham and Turkey Slices After They Are Opened?

It depends on what you are buying. 

IF there are preservatives in it, it will last as long as it is dated for if you seal it up good in lock and lock or similar type containers. 

If it is uncured and no preservatives, it has a much shorter shelf life, and again, use the expiration date on the package, but be more vigilant about it. 

Neither would I throw out after three days unless the were past the use by date on the packaging.

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I would keep it for at least 7 to 14 days. I’m shocked to hear that anyone would throw it out after 3 days....

I'm shocked to hear you're still alive. 

People in this nation throw away so much usable food with their lack of knowledge about food storage, and their phobias about food safety (and no, I don't take food safety lightly in the least). They are running on fear, not actual facts and knowledge about it.

Honored Contributor

ham lasts a bit longer

but I buy sliced chicken, much better than turkey.  I won't buy more than 1/2 llb at a time.  so that's about 2 or 3 days 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I would keep it for at least 7 to 14 days. I’m shocked to hear that anyone would throw it out after 3 days....

I'm shocked to hear you're still alive. 

People in this nation throw away so much usable food with their lack of knowledge about food storage, and their phobias about food safety (and no, I don't take food safety lightly in the least). They are running on fear, not actual facts and knowledge about it.

sliced deli meats really aren't that great after about 4/5 days

Will send you my chicken 

Honored Contributor

I'm with you...after three days I throw it out.

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I thought I'd ask.  I'm sort of a 3 day pitch it out girl, and my husband thinks 5 days--after it has been opened.

So I thought I'd ask and see what YOU think!  I am talking about deli slices of ham, turkey, chicken or beef more than bologna, salami and such.  

Thanks!  

@Mz iMac

@hondagirl

@RedTop

@Lipstickdiva

@Sooner

Usually when I see green or black mold growing on the meat,  I cut around or scrape the mold off, and chop the meat up to make chicken ala king, creamed turkey, beef French dip sandwiches. The trick is to use lots of gravy or sauce to cover up the meat.

My guests never suspect they are made with old meat. Try that.

Good luck and enjoy. Smiley Happy 

@EatWell . Surely you jest!

Honored Contributor

I put it in a large zip loc, pressing  the air out of everything seperately, keep in the bottom back of the lowest drawer were it's coldest, and keep a week.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner 

I try to buy smaller amounts  (1/2 a pound)  of Deli counter meats  so little is wasted. 

I like the  3-4  Day Rule for most food in the fridge.   Trash day is on Tuesdays. 

When in doubt throw it out!   

CAT

Respected Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I thought I'd ask.  I'm sort of a 3 day pitch it out girl, and my husband thinks 5 days--after it has been opened.

So I thought I'd ask and see what YOU think!  I am talking about deli slices of ham, turkey, chicken or beef more than bologna, salami and such.  

Thanks!  

@Mz iMac

@hondagirl

@RedTop

@Lipstickdiva

@Sooner

Usually when I see green or black mold growing on the meat,  I cut around or scrape the mold off, and chop the meat up to make chicken ala king, creamed turkey, beef French dip sandwiches. The trick is to use lots of gravy or sauce to cover up the meat.

My guests never suspect they are made with old meat. Try that.

Good luck and enjoy. Smiley Happy 

Oh Lord.  Sounds like your guests are science experiments.  

Honored Contributor

I buy enough for a couple of days, generally for lunch that day and the following day.  

Deli is just around the corner and the supermarket is down the blockl.