Respected Contributor

Re: How Long Do You Keep Deli Ham and Turkey Slices After They Are Opened?

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I would keep it for at least 7 to 14 days. I’m shocked to hear that anyone would throw it out after 3 days....

I'm shocked to hear you're still alive. 

Honored Contributor

We buy a small amount of turkey and ham lunch meat so we won't have to waste it. I usually smell it before I use it.

Contributor

Usually about 4 days. I put them in a Ziploc freezer bag and store in the fridge.  I found when I left them just in the grocery store wrapper they went bad a lot sooner.  I don't buy a big amount when I get them. And I always check them before eating, even right after I buy them .. just in case.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends.  Smoked meat such as ham and salami last longer in the fridge than turkey or chicken.  

For turkey, about three days and for a good quality ham maybe about five to seven days.  For the really smoked meats like pepperoni and salami, I keep it about two weeks, but it it is usually eaten by then.  The temp in my fridge is 38 degrees.  If your fridge is warmer, your food will not last as long.

Also, if you buy cheap bargain luncheon meats, they don’t last long at all.  Two to three days and they seem to be slimy already.

Trusted Contributor

I have a slightly different take on how long a food item is kept. My DS married a man from the poor coal mining regions and he grew up with practically nothing. He, still after all these years, will dig food out that is long considered by the "experts" to be past their prime and eat it. Believe it or not he is still living too. Imagine that. Be that as it may, obviously in his case, it is a long standing memory of being hungry. Although today, he is no longer in that position.

Also, I recall, being told again by the "experts" to get rid of all expired medicines and that they were no longer any good. Imagine my surprise when there was a critical shortage of drugs in Cali that the EMS were using the expired ones. Said the "experts" well they were OK to use, just lost some of their efficacy, they were not harmful.

And, to respond to the question posed, common sense should dictate when to toss out something.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361

I'm like you - a week or more!  Looks like we've survived!Woman LOL

I also remove the sandwich meat and layer it in lock 'n lock, placing a paper towel between each slice so it stays nice.

It's only me and my furbaby eating it so although I don't buy more than a quarter of a pound, it sometimes lasts more than five days.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep them about 4-5 days in the fridge.  However, I always buy a pound of deli meat at a time and then put enough for a sandwich in ZipLoc bags and throw the individual bags in in the freezer.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Once they turn slimy, in the garbage it goes! 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

Last night's Inside Edition had a segment on how long is safe keeping foods in the fridge and on the deli sliced turkey the guy in the lab coat said 7 days.

Respected Contributor

Until it can walk out on its own.

(just kidding.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York