Honored Contributor

How I keep my slow cooker and cast iron pans in good shape

My dirty little secret, I don't brown in them, period.  It is so easy to just brown the roast or whatever in a non-stick skillet and then transfer it to the slow cooker or enameled cast iron pan.  It is so easy to swish out the skillet and my slow cooker liner and two enameled roasters still look like new.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How I keep my slow cooker and cast iron pans in good shape

I never brown my roast before putting in crock pot and I use the liners. 

Respected Contributor

Hi Qpals -

....and I just toss my roast in the crock (after cutting the large pieces of marble and chunks of fat off)...in it goes with my veggies and broth, with a variety of beans and even a small slice of peeled apple for slight sweetness to the sauce.

It's delish. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass I'm with you.  I never use the browning feature in my Instant Pot (even though it is stainless steel) or any other pressure cooker that has the non stick finish.  I will brown in my enameled cast iron.  I  deglaze the pan to use the dripping from the meat in my recipe.  Then when the pan has cooled down a little I put some boiling water in it and let it sit and then hand wash with Dawn, towel dry and put away.

By not browning in the Instant Pot I never get that "burn" message to contend with in order to continue cooking.

aroc3435

Respected Contributor

I have a HSN pressure cooker , Ninja 4 in 1 , and some other cooker that I can not recall the name of at the time Smiley Happy , that have a browning feature . I find they just do not brown like acutally on the stove top , or at least slow the process. 

I have a smallish kitchen but do not find it grueling to wash one extra pan usually non-stick or my old faithful cast iron.