Respected Contributor

Re: How Far Ahead Do You Usually Plan Your Evening Meal (Menu)?

Since it's just my husband and me we usually decide what we are hungry for around mid-morning.   That gives me time to take something out of the freezer if needed.

We aren't big eaters and our meals are usually pretty simple.   

Valued Contributor

I plan meals about an hour ahead based on what I purchased the previous saturday. I purchase the same things each week, with some variation based on what's on sale or what I'm in the mood to eat. 

I work late sometimes so I may also take into consideration whether I want to have leftovers or not. 

Honored Contributor

I rarely plan...we are not big eaters thru the week, unless it's comfort food in the winter.  If DH wants a big meal, he eats that on the weekend when we eat out...which means I will have to cook more since restaurants are closed right now.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  A lot of restaurants have been granted provision to still make and sell Take-Out meals.  You just can't sit down to eat it there.  Call around. maybe your favourite places are doing that.

Honored Contributor

One week around the sales and perishables that need to be used up.

Honored Contributor

I plan for the upcoming week and prepare a grocery list. 

Honored Contributor

We generally shop on Sunday for the week, however I told myh husband with just the two of us, we should only have to do big grocery shopping every two weeks instead of weekly...I mean you will run out of some things in a week, but for the bulk of it, I would like to get to a 2 week shopping, but for now-it is weekly!

Trusted Contributor

I usually plan what meals I will make for the week before I do weekly grocery shopping.  A couple things I may not know the exact day but at least I know what I'm going to make.

Respected Contributor

honestly.my wife has been making menus for quite a few years but like a month ago she went thru 18 different cookbooks and she has her menus made for the rest of this year. when shes getting close to not having ti many menus left she will start getting recipes togeather to start again. this last time it took her like 6 days.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow.  What organization.  What planning.  Some of you could run major companies.  Me?  I pretty much keep a stock of basics and perhaps on Friday will pick up a special fish meal.  Not observant of no meat Friday, we just like fish.  Certain things I thaw ahead, like for a meatloaf. If there is a sale on ground round or ground sirloin, I'll make the meatloaf that very day.  Occasionally all plans go out the window and DH grabs me a frozen pizza from the basement.  Plans are so casual around here that we are having our corned beef dinner today.  Meat was cooked in crock pot and didn't get done in time on the 17th.