Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Far Ahead Do You Usually Plan Your Evening Meal (Menu)?

Based on what's on sale, I generally plan meals for the week. Until now I would eat out once or twice a week; now I will be cooking.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I've always planned a week at a time, what I was going to make and the sides down the left side of the paper, following the store specials, with a grocery list in the order of the store on the right.  

The plan allowed me to get in enough chicken, pork, fish, and beef variety.  I would also plan with events in mind (church, Boy Scouts), and I could get in the right sides so I didn't end up with the same thing over and over.

Our sons would look at the list and be very upset if homemade spaghetti got moved around, or if anything did!

I still make that list so I always have the carrots if stew is on the schedule!

It makes me crazy now, because DH can't decide until the last minute!  

I've used a system similar to what you've described since we got married 44 years ago. I also take the weather forecast into consideration to ensure I'm not heating up the kitchen with a roast on a hot day. 

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

My husband does all of our meal planning & he generally gets his "epiphany" (as he calls it), each day.

@SurferWife Last minute drives me nuts!Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I like to eat what I'm hungry for so I take it out of the freezer the night before.

I made pot roast today that I ate some of but I also wanted an apple & salad. I know DH says weird.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG   I usually plan a week or two at a time.  I try to plan around the current or upcoming specials at the market.  Most large chains have predicatable cycles of sales offerings tied to the season or looming holiday.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hannukah usually has discounts on spices, and baking ingredients like sugar, flour, pumpkin, dairy.

New Years has frozen hors d'oevres, wine, champagne, etc.

March is frozen food month.  Easter has eggs as a loss leader, and specials on butter.  Ham and lamb are on special approaching easter and Passover.  Summer brings specials on ground beef, frankfurters, associated rolls, and, of course, the best produce specials.

Since retiring I don't have to be quite as precise in the meal prep and planning but I pretty much stick to a script.

I do rotate my pantry staples and try to clear the freezer every three months.

It is fortunate that my Significant Other and I both like to cook so if one of us doesn't feel inclined the other can pick up the slack to make a decent dinner.

I agree, though, about not having a fresh produce ingredient on hand, such as carrots.  SO has a habit of using up the fresh mushrooms that I planned for a different meal.  But he will run to Harris Teeter around the corner to pick up.  Problem is, they often run out of them.

aroc3435

Respected Contributor

I usually can plan about 4 meals at a time.  I used to be able to due a weeks worth but over the past several years, I've found it harder and harder to meal plan.  My husband and daughter are so picky.  Groceries are more expensive everyday and I just don't want to make multiple meals a day.  I do shop the sales as much as possible.

Honored Contributor

On most days I decide around 3 pm and start preparing.  If I am out and about which is at least a day or two a week, I decide when I get home...at around ..5 pm.

If it is something that takes time to prepare, I might plan and start the day before.

I had a recovering sick family member live with me for 8 months.  She said she never saw or heard of anyone who had no idea what she was making for dinner, but had a meal on the table an hour later.

I always keep my freezer, refrigerator  and pantry stocked with staples and everything I would possibly need.  We could live for months without grocery shopping. Sure, I would run out of fresh veggies, but I always have frozen.

Honored Contributor

Like @Carmie, I am always well stocked,  and decide anywhere from one day to one hour what I’m cooking for supper.   

After 45 years, I know we are going to eat one beef roast and one pork roast a month, with two other meals from those leftovers.   There will be one meal of hamburgers and/or meatloaf, chili or soup, and burritos or tacos.   Baked beans and a pot of dried beans are a sure thing, along with one pasta meal, 3 meals with potatoes, at least 2 chicken meals, a fish meal for my husband, and at least 2 breakfasts for supper.   

We are very set in our eating habits, so it is easy to keep the freezer full, and the root vegetables in stock.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

I like to eat what I'm hungry for so I take it out of the freezer the night before.

I made pot roast today that I ate some of but I also wanted an apple & salad. I know DH says weird.

@Nightowlz Actually, you made great choices!  Your DH needs to mirror what you eat!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I used to think few days ahead but now......  I need to pull out of freezer and plan accordingly.