Honored Contributor

Re: How Does Your Cooking Differ From What You Grew Up With?

Grew up eating meat, potato and veggies mac and cheese.

Today I do the same but have more of a variety.  Mexican dishes, Asian dishes, Italian.  Definitely more salad.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

It doesn't.

Trusted Contributor

My mother cooked a lot of roasts like beef and veal.  We were Polish so she was good at cooking stuffed cabage.  When I got married I tried to cook polish for my family but they did not like it so. I dropped that.  Today I just cook for two and so I stick to fish and chicken with pork once in awhile as well as spagetti.

Contributor

My mom was a stay at home mom and a really good cook. She cooked everyday except Sunday. We would meet one of my dad's brother & family after church & go out to eat at a restaurant. Mom mostly cooked a meat, potato, vegetable for supper. Things like meatloaf, pot roast, hamburgers, pork chops, baked or grilled chicken, sausage gravy & mashed potatoes. Sometimes breakfast for dinner or soup.
Breakfast was mostly cold cereal sometimes oatmeal. Lunch was usually lunchmeat (usually either smoked turkey or ham) & cheese sandwich with fresh fried chips from the local chip factory or pretzels & fresh vegetables or fried egg sandwich. Very rarely did we have spaghetti or lasagna or pizza & never any rice or any kind of rice dish.

I am a meat, potatoes, & one vegetable at dinner cook. I also make homemade soups, occassionally spaghetti, lasagna, pizza or a rice dish. Like my mom nothing fancy. When family has get togethers I'm the one that cooks all the meals whether holiday or not.
Respected Contributor

My cooking is much more healthy than the food I was raised on. Also, much more creative.

Honored Contributor

My mother used to be a good cook.  She had several dishes in her repertoire that were in the rotation.  She learned them from her mother who was a fabulous cook.  My mother was not particularly creative in her cooking however, and that's where we differ.  I'm in my element in the kitchen and I love to experiment and try new things.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in a bi-racial Japanese-American family. My mother was born in Japan so that's what kind of food we ate. It wasn't until the military sent my family to the states that my mother learned how to cook Western food and that started when I was about 3yo. So our diet consisted of mostly Japanese food and some Western food...stuff that my American grandma taught her how to cook like meatloaf, spaghetti, pot roast...you know, the regular American stuff most people grew up on.Woman Very Happy

Today my food consists mostly of a Mediterranean-style stuff. No dairy and no meat from 4-leggeds.

Esteemed Contributor

My cooking isn't too different from my mother and dad's cooking - yes, he cooked some too. My dad was a meat cutter, so he brought home fresh meat including steaks that he cut for us. He loved seafood - my mother didn't, but she learned to cook it, and my dad did too. Both of them were raised on farms, so they were used to having a lot of fresh vegetables in the summer. Neither one of them was a picky eater and they taught me to try everything on my plate. My mother loved cookbooks and was always ready to try a new recipe. Other than not having the benefit of my wonderful dad bringing home fresh cut meat, I generally cook the same variety of foods that they did. I just cook less now that I'm retired! I have relatives and friends who are terribly picky eaters, and I thank my lucky stars that my parents never allowed me to be like that.

Valued Contributor

I grew up eating mostly Italian food, except on Sundays when my mom cooked either prime beef, like filet mignon or new york streaks, served with potatoes and a vegetable. My mother was a GREAT cook, She made some great Italian food, learning from my grandmother, who was born in Italy.

We also had many dinners with seafood - shrimp, crab legs, lobster. We had a summer house on a bay where we would dig for clams, prepared in a chowder, on the half shell, or baked clams oreganata.

We NEVER  ate any weird (yuck) food, like rabbit, squirrel, deer, or venison.

I still eat a LOT of seafood - no beef, no pork, no ham, no sausage. I also eat pasta twice a week, chicken, and turkey.

Respected Contributor

Oh how I wish I could cook the way my parents did.My mama was Austrian and cooked great Austrian/German dishes,my dad was a chef and cooked wonderful dishes. Everything was home made,spaghetti sauce,noodles,pies etc.Everything was fresh,not much frozen stuff.They didn't use written recipes so I only have a few things written down.