Honored Contributor

How Do You Use The Beautiful Fresh Summer Vegetables (Other Than Salads)?

I love to saute using olive oil spray which gives a thinner coating and Mrs Dash Table Blend.  Before I turn them, (I don't stir, it breakes some things like squash up), I spray the top.

Sauteed vegies are great with a little pesto or grated parmesian cheese.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Use The Beautiful Fresh Summer Vegetables (Other Than Salads)?

BLT's, tomato salads, tomato pie, zucchini pancakes, zucchini bread, yellow squash casserole, tomato preserves, tomato sandwiches, peas cooked with ham, corn grilled, corn souffle, corn bisque, tomato bisque and soup, green beans cooked with ham and eaten with cornbread, leek and potato soup, leed gratain, sauteed leeks, fried (lightly sauteed in a tiny bit of oil) okra, okra and tomatoes, roasted okra, and grilled corn, and just boiled or steamed corn with butter or sour cream!!!  

Respected Contributor

I do these same kind of things with all the fresh Summer veggies!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

BLT's, tomato salads, tomato pie, zucchini pancakes, zucchini bread, yellow squash casserole, tomato preserves, tomato sandwiches, peas cooked with ham, corn grilled, corn souffle, corn bisque, tomato bisque and soup, green beans cooked with ham and eaten with cornbread, leek and potato soup, leed gratain, sauteed leeks, fried (lightly sauteed in a tiny bit of oil) okra, okra and tomatoes, roasted okra, and grilled corn, and just boiled or steamed corn with butter or sour cream!!!  

@Sooner, Would you share your tomato pie with me?  I do one at Christmas with well drained Italian canned tomatos, and two pounds of cut up gruyer cheese sprinkled heavily with basil and oregano in a deep dish crust.  That's too expensive for every day, but it's an "eye roller"!

Trusted Contributor

I am not a vegetarian but I do like to use tofu along with fresh vegetables especially in the summer since it is lighter.  I get the extra firm tofu, cut it into small squares/wedges, drain the liquid, pat dry with paper towels, and then sautee it, until lightly brown,  with some olive oil or in non stick pan.

Then I add whatever fresh vegetables that I happen to have like squash, green/red peppers, onions, fresh corn cut off the cob, etc and saute until veggies are lightly cooked.  I season different ways too - indian style, chinese style, balsamic vinagrete - just whatever strikes me at the time.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just got the Spiralizer attachment for my Kitchenaid. My zucchini should be ready in a couple days....can't wait to try it out!

Trusted Contributor

I like to throw everything I can on the grill, a bit of grapeseed oil and Mrs. Dash or powdered rub.

I also like to roast in the oven with oil and seasonings.

This conversation is making me hungry. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner, Would you share your tomato pie with me?  I do one at Christmas with well drained Italian canned tomatos, and two pounds of cut up gruyer cheese sprinkled heavily with basil and oregano in a deep dish crust.  That's too expensive for every day, but it's an "eye roller"!

@ECBG  I WOULD if I had one recipe.  I have a number I've tried but basically you slice tomatoes and drain them on paper towels.   Then in a partially baked pie shell you put a thin layer of mayo and cheese of choice, and layer in tomatoes and maybe basil, or herbs you like, salt and pepper, cheese if you like, and top with a little more cheese and bake.  

I don't have a particular recipe, but a lot of my southern cookbooks have recipes.  Wish I DID have a standard!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG  I WOULD if I had one recipe.  I have a number I've tried but basically you slice tomatoes and drain them on paper towels.   Then in a partially baked pie shell you put a thin layer of mayo and cheese of choice, and layer in tomatoes and maybe basil, or herbs you like, salt and pepper, cheese if you like, and top with a little more cheese and bake.  

I don't have a particular recipe, but a lot of my southern cookbooks have recipes.  Wish I DID have a standard!  

@SoonerSounds like a little lightly sauted onion would add in nicely!

Honored Contributor

Sauteed like OP does or roasted.  For my daughter's wedding a few weeks ago, I made three big pans of roasted vegetables.