Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Do You Items In Your Cabinets and ........

I do not need a list for items I get every week, t.p., fruit, puree for the sauce, etc., but for the rest, as I run out of them, or need extra things for a recipe, I'll jot it on a sticky note. Then, at the store, as I get the items, I make a tear on the sticky note where it was written down.

Right now, I have a mental list going...that raw sugar I need for the butter cookies, among other things.

DH also adds to the list, but he doesn't do that until the day I do the marketing.

Honored Contributor

When I run out of something I write it down, but when I make a grocery list I go by aisle in my head.  I put the item I have run out of on the list in the correct mental aisle.

I seldom run out of anything; I'm usually ahead of the game.

Honored Contributor

If I'm running low on something that I don't use everyday, like soy sauce or baking soda, and I purchase another for backup, I write an 'M' on the lid of the already opened one in permanent marker.  It stands for "more in the pantry".  I started doing that when my boys would repeatedly put something on the list, like ketchup for instance, without checking first.  It has saved me from piling up on bottles of molasses, cocoa powder and stuff like that.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

If I'm running low on something that I don't use everyday, like soy sauce or baking soda, and I purchase another for backup, I write an 'M' on the lid of the already opened one in permanent marker.  It stands for "more in the pantry".  I started doing that when my boys would repeatedly put something on the list, like ketchup for instance, without checking first.  It has saved me from piling up on bottles of molasses, cocoa powder and stuff like that.

Now that is a great idea.I never but backup because I forget I have it and then pile up stuff that stale dates.I will use your idea and thanks.I am most often a daily shopper as I live five minutes from four stores.I like my produce and meats to be very fresh.

Honored Contributor

@dex 

Good! I think you'll find it very helpful.  I know some people think these are all picky little things and not worth the time, but my tiny kitchen is a busy place. The extra effort makes a big difference in my life.  I can't remember the last time I ran out of anything.  I'm known as a very patient person, but there's one thing that drives me absolutely insane and that's running to the store for one ingredient.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

This is a great idea (coming from someone with three unopened Nutellas in the pantry.)

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon 

Ha!  I've never had Nutella, because both the chocolate and the nuts are migraine triggers for me, but as I understand it, three jars of Nutella in the pantry is just a start!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

OMG @house_cat , every once in a while I grab a spoon, dip into the Nutella, then dip into the peanutbutter, and enjoy the bliss.  If you dip into the peanutbutter first, then the Nutella, you get a different flavor sensation.  Trust me on this; I'm an expert.

Honored Contributor

It's just the two of us and I do the shopping.  Hubby knows that if there is something specific he wants or if he has used the last of something, he should write on the list.  If he wants bacon for Sunday breakfast and he didn't put it on the list.....to bad.....he's not having bacon unless he goes out and buys it.  This is another thing that I just don't over think.  

Respected Contributor

I've always kept a stock of favorite and oft used items.  It's a shock if I find myself flat out of something.  I had to chuckle at the poster who writes down what they need for a special recipe.  Oh yeah, I do that too.  Then later I can't remember where or what recipe it was that I bought the item for.  Guess I'd better be writing that down.  Woman Embarassed

Having someone help with cooking comes with mixed signals.  I'm kind of happy to have that task to myself.  My other half helps with clean up.