Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Items In Your Cabinets and ........

I keep a master list on my Android phone.

Cat food, juice, trash bags, things like that, things that get used up regularly

If I don't need it, I skip over it, so it's more or less a suggestion, or reminder.

I plan meals off the top of my head when I get to the store, depending on what looks good, or what's on sale.

I use pick up often & the list online is a useful reminder

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the app for my grocery store on my phone. I add items to my shopping list so when I go to the store I shop only from the list (helps with impulse buying) and keeps me on track of what items I'm running low on. It works great for me. 

I also keep a shopping list on my phone for target/home depot runs. 

I only purchase what I need for that week. I do not stock up on pantry items since I tend to forget what I have and end up tossing anyway. 

Frequent Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I have a notepad with a magnet that I stick on the refrigerator.  Whe something is low I write it on. However if I don't do it right away all bets are off . 😆

We do something similar...and forget, just as often.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

My master list is a newspaper clipping from the early 1970s.  It's become brittle and beginning to fall apart but it's so old and worn, it's like a dear old friend that I love but must soon part with.  I do need to add that app on my phone.  Any recommendations of a good one?

Esteemed Contributor

I do a once a month grocery/toiletry run.  I keep a notebook in a basket under my end table and beside my recliner.  As soon as I see I'm getting low on something or see I'm about out of something it goes on my list.  Sometimes I do it right away and other times I will wait til the end of the day when I'm sitting down and unwinding with a little TV.  I have forgotten to put things down but, for the most part, I remember.  Toward the end of the month, I then take my list and type it up (Groceries in one column and Toiletries/Cleaning Supplies/Other in a second column.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@ECBG Here is our solution to this problem , leave the bottle upside down on the kitchen counter, including vitamins, that way we know that, that needs to be replace when shopping day comes.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@ECBG Here is our solution to this problem , leave the bottle upside down on the kitchen counter, including vitamins, that way we know that, that needs to be replace when shopping day comes.

@BeccaLou Thanks.  I do that with meds but not with glass condiment bottles. 

Honored Contributor

I usually make a shopping list when I'm sitting in a chair - never while I'm in the kitchen. My store ads arrive in Wednesday's paper so I have that handy because I shop for sale items. Wish I had a nice deep pantry, but an upper cabinet serves as my pantry, along with a corner lazy Susan on the bottom.

Honored Contributor

I use an app called Out of Milk. It takes some time up front, taking inventory of everything you have (it does have a scanning feature which helps). But once that is done, it is easy and grocery lists are created.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

My master list is a newspaper clipping from the early 1970s.  It's become brittle and beginning to fall apart but it's so old and worn, it's like a dear old friend that I love but must soon part with.  I do need to add that app on my phone.  Any recommendations of a good one?

@Free2be 

If you have an iPhone, there is an app built in called "Reminders". You can also create lists with it, as many as you want.  However, the very best one I've ever found is called "CLEAR".  I'm pretty sure I paid $5 to purchase it - money well spent. It's very intuitive.  

They've updated it since I first purchased. Seems like it's now called "Clear Todos".  In any case, it will look like this in your App Store:

IMG_6E2DE2D9A6C9-1.jpeg

~ house cat ~