Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Do You Deal With Veggies and Fruits When You Get Them Home?

Most everything is pre-packaged or frozen.  However, I did buy some oranges and apples individually.  I normally rinse them under water and use a tad bit of my foaming kitchen soap on them and that's what I'll continue to do.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I find it shocking the number of people that wash their produce with chemicals.  You might as well be smoking cigarettes.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@wishmoon .....why?

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

Next month, we'll have fresh strawberries in PA. I'm thinking that's an automatic "no" this year.

Louisiana's strawberry season started in March, and I've been enjoying them for weeks now.  I've just rinsed them in water as usual.  According to the "experts" we don't get the virus by eating it because our digestive juices destroy it. Of course they might change their minds next week but I gave myself permission to enjoy one of my favorite foods based on that advice.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Dr Fauci said the virus isn't transmitted through food.I buy my fruits & veggies.Store them in zip loc bags in the refrigerator until we are ready to use them.Then I rinse them in cold water & dry with paper towels.

Valued Contributor

I wipe off any moisture and then wrap in dry paper towel and use Debbie Myers Green Bags.  Things last forever for me, and I do change out the paper towel when it gets damp

I wash only before using with Fit, a veg. wash, but there are others out there good too or I spray them with Vinegar and water and then rinse before eating but Ive always done this

Honored Contributor

Why? Don't really have an answer. I think because those fruits are handled by persons.

I just feel better doing that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I find it shocking the number of people that wash their produce with chemicals.  You might as well be smoking cigarettes.

@Imaoldhippie LOL!!!  Sorry but I find that statement absurd as well.  Wash.  Rinse very well.  Eat with fewer germs and viruses. And yes, I'm going to use some kind of surfactant in the wash water.   You do need that surfactant to act as a detergent, wetting agent, emulsifier, or dispersant.  Which is why they recomment soap on your hands.

So what is the difference in making a fruit or veggie safe and your hands?  Many hands touch, move, examine, pick, pack and handle them in a store.  People breath over them and sneeze over them.  Why would you not try to clean them? 

Regular Contributor

We use a fruit and vegetable wash from Trader Joe's. Most grocery stores carry a similar product. It is the idea of the friction of water and any mild soap rubbed or wiped over the food that works well. There is no need for Ajax cleanser on food. The MSDS sheet is enough to frighten any consumer from using this product in this manner.

We also use the instant boiling osmosis water tap at the kitchen sink on grapes, blueberries, strawberries, apples, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, cauliflower ,etc. Just wipe dry or let air dry afterward to prevent them from rotting if you need to store them in the frig.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner ............who me say something absurd??? LOL well maybe once or twice in my lifetime.  Woman LOL

I have always washed my veggies in ice water with salt, soaked them a while and rinsed.  Thats the way my grandma and mon did it and I have been doing that all my adult life.  So far I am alive, my kids survived and hubby is still upright.  I did try that veggie and fruit wash when it first came out but I did not keep using it.

As for my fruit I soak in very cold water, no salt, and then rinse, rinse, rinse.

I did not mean to imply I did not wash them.