Esteemed Contributor

How Adventurous Were Your Kids At Eating?

I have Farmhouse Rules on while dusting the LR.  No idea why, the woman on it is not a favorite.

Anyway, her 4 grandkids are staying over, looks like 4yr. old to maybe 9 or 10 yrs. olds.

She is making loaded potato soup and grilled cheese.  Ok, my kids, now adults, would have eaten that when they were young. However, she added avacado. tomato and red onion to the grilled cheese. My kids wouldn't have touched that kind of grilled cheese with a 10ft. fork.

I guess if they are exposed to that kind of stuff early they will eat it.  My son would starve before he would eat that, even now.  My daughter is pretty game as an adult.

What were/are your kids like when it comes to food?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Adventurous Were Your Kids At Eating?

My son and grandson weren't too bad. I had one rule---you had to try it first. Now, I always had butter, cheese or gravy on the side of something new and the boys never had a problem. Now, as adults my grandson is a chef and very adventereous but my son is very picky about every thing from a salad to a hoagie, etc.  

Respected Contributor

My daughter was a very picky eater while growing up.  She was born very premature (3 months early) weighing 1.7 lbs.  She's 14 now and getting better and willing to try more things.  The bigger problem is my husband...what a pain sometimes!

Honored Contributor

We were not adventurous eaters but they were good about eating what was served. I know some kids who only want hot dogs, French fries, chicken tenders and Kraft mac & cheese. We had pizza, soups, sandwiches, casseroles and such without anyone being overly fussy.

Respected Contributor

My kids were pretty good at eating most things, but one time I tried to feed them liver and that didn't go over well.  I told them they had to sit there until they at least ate some of it.  I turned my back to clean the kitchen and suddenly it was all gone.  OK,  good job.  Later it was found stuffed inside their Barbie Doll suitcases.  Now later in life I totally understand their decision.  I'd probably do the same thing.  I made an oxtail stew that was delicious and they loved.  When they got older they asked for the recipe.  They couldn't believe it was oxtail.  Nope, they won't cook that.  Their favorite was Ragu over elbow noodles and hot dogs cut up in it.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My girls ate pretty much everything until they started school and were influenced by their friends, then the pickiness started.  However, I never catered to them by cooking and serving just their favorites, so they had to eat many things that might not have been their favorite food.  

My oldest ate liver like it was candy when she was 3, and my youngest has loved pinto beans from the time she was old enough to pick them off the tray of her highchair.

Respected Contributor

I think I was the only kid in town who actually liked spinach and liver. Was not a fan of any kind of fish and still am not except for tuna salad.

Honored Contributor

I have three children.  Two of them ate everything and anything,  One was picky.  He never tasted lettuce, tomatoes and onions in his life.

I remember once when my youngest was around 7 years old when we were in a seafood restaurant.  He ordered a plate of raw oysters.  We all looked at him..like what???

I was always an adventurous eater too...my DH, not so much.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know how adventurous this is but ...

DS1 ate mostly veggies and fish. & asked my mom why she put a dead carcass on his plate when she gave him meat. 

DS2 ate the stinky stuff DH ate like sardines. I don't remember him eating fruit & veggies.

as adults they eat more "normal"

Respected Contributor

DD ate what all kids like but she does like veggies then she grew up and is way more adventurous than I will ever be. Her fiance is meat & potatoes no veggies what so ever. He loves all the fast food too. His Father & Brother are both the same way. She tries to sneak in some veggies but he picks them out. She tells him that you eat like a 10yr old. When they do get married I am afraid her wedding menu will be mac & cheese & chicken nuggets for him & the men in his family. LOL only kidding but he would love that.