Honored Contributor

Hoosier Cabinet - do you own one?

Here's a pictorial history of the Hoosier Cabinet

I'd never heard the term before coming across this article. Oh, how I'd love to own one of these!

Do you?

Click here for the pictures and story.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Hoosier Cabinet - do you own one?

They are pieces of art combined with efficiency, imho.  I have wanted one for years, but have no easy space to put one.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Yes, we have one, since I go for antique kitchenware anyway.  It has become a catch-all for extra Lock n Lock, my surplus range shaker sets, and DH's toys in the bottom, like model tractors.  My computer sits on a vintage baker's cabinet, the kind with the rounded drawers on the bottom for flour.  Another catch-all, I'm afraid. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi house_cat,

We do in fact have a Hoosier cabinet.  Ours was passed down to us from my husband's great aunt.  We had it refinshed back to it's natural oak finish.  We love it and it provides many great memories.

Take care

Honored Contributor

When I was little my great grandmother had one that was in perfect condition - it was the color of jadite dishes. Anyway - when she died it went to a great uncle and when he died I took it but my kitchen was too small & eventually I knew I had to sell it, as it was just so large. I sold it in 1999 - I had tried to give it to everyone in the family but no one had enough room for it. What a sad loss. We had it in our basement for several years then for a short while my husband took it to his office and stored papers etc in it, and we hoped someone would see it there and want it. We sold it to the company next door to my DH's office and they put it in their lunch room.

Honored Contributor

My grandmother had one.  When she died my mother took it.  I wanted her to keep it for me, because I really loved it.  She didn't have room for it and eventually sold it.  As it turned out, I doubt I would have ever had room for it either.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My kindergarten classroom had a kitchen center and it included a cabinet like these, child-sized.  I remember the first time I saw that kitchen, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  That was the beginning of my love affair with school.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I've never heard them called that. I don't have one, but I have looked at them in the past. I really could use a pie safe or garde-manger more.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

In one of the fully furnished apartments in Germany, with a very large, square kitchen, there was one a little wider. It was huge and painted light green. I asked the landlord about it, it was from U.S.A., from another American family who left it behind (I guess because it took a lot of the weight allowance for shipping). I only put my few dishes in it since everything else was in storage. 

Respected Contributor

When I left my ex, I left the Hoosier and have always regretted it.  I did get two lovely antique pieces, but wish I had taken that one with me.