Frequent Contributor

Honeybells, Florida vs California

Has anyone tried both types of Honeybells sold by QVC?  I bought the first ones that came out, the Florida ones, and they were wonderful.  So juicy and so sweet and so big.  Well, when they advertised the California Honeybells, I thought, why not.  Oh my, they are SO sour!  And much smaller with thick skins.  Now I generally like California navel oranges, but these were TOO tangy.  I'm juicing them just to get them used up since I am not going to want to peel them and eat them!  

Next year.....Florida Honeybells all the way!!!!

Janet in Georgia
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Honeybells, Florida vs California

Years ago I bought one order of the FL honeybells.  After an order of FL this year - decided to order CA offering.

This year - FL oranges were not as bright orange nor shape of a bell and not quite as juicy as years past but enjoyed them.(but large like grapefruit)

CA box were bright orange and shape of bell but smaller.  Juicy about the same - but unlike yours - mine sweet sweet - not sour in any way.

Skin thickness about the same for both - perhaps CA were a tad thicker.........but nothing like I find at grocery stores.  Those skins are really thick thick.

Honored Contributor

They're dyed so the color has nothing to do with the quality.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I caught a presentation.  David said the oranges from Florida were larger than California.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of Honeybells from CA!

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I love the juicy and sweet Florida fruit so I ordered the California fruit....never again!  SOUR!