Honored Contributor

Re: Honeybelles : Hybrids with Grapefruit !

Thanks for this reminder! My mom is on meds that restrict the consumption of grapefruit, and I'd forgotten about this fact. I will keep an eye on what she purchases to be sure she doesn't do harm from this fact.

Contributor

Thank you for the reminder also. I completely forgot about the grapefruit ordeal with certain medications. Almost bought some but then read this and didn't care for the price too. So thank you again.

Super Contributor

On 1/4/2015 nomless said: Yes, you are correct.....Honeybell is a a tangelo. That is, both are tangerine / grapefruit hybrid.

Yep, HoneyBells are tangelos, and tangelos are Honeybells. They are one and the same. This discussion takes place every year at this time. I have purchased tangelos at my local grocery store for much, much less than they're selling them here. The difference besides price, is that they might not be as pretty as the ones they show on QVC. In years past, I have also found them at Aldi's. And even at the grocery store, they are only available for a limited time.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 ValuSkr said:
On 1/3/2015 DiAnne said:

I think tangelos are also a hybrid with grapefruit.

I thought a Cushman HoneyBell actually was a tangelo. They don't publicize it, because tangelos (and similar fruits) are available in most supermarkets and they'd rather you think HoneyBells are special.

Honeybells don't look like tangelos and they don't taste like tangelos.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

Drug interactions for Tangelos From Wikipedia

One study thus far has shown that, unlike grapefruit, interactions with statins are not likely with tangelos. Although the tangelo is derived from a grapefruit crossed with a tangerine, the furocoumarins in grapefruit are apparently not expressed in tangelos

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 1/3/2015 DiAnne said:

I thought a Cushman HoneyBell actually was a tangelo. They don't publicize it, because tangelos (and similar fruits) are available in most supermarkets and they'd rather you think HoneyBells are special.

Honeybells don't look like tangelos and they don't taste like tangelos.

And we're off!

Happy New Year. Welcome to the 2015 edition of The Great Honeybell Debate.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I have never ordered the Honeybells but I buy tangelos at the market when they are available. They are much smaller than the Honeybells appear to be on TV. I use them in salads.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't comment on what is a tangelo, but Cushman's Honeybells are larger and tastier than the orange fruit which I can get at local grocers. Everyone has their own opinion of taste, so that is just my opinion. That said I do enjoy a tasty mineola at this time of year.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/3/2015 DiAnne said:

Honeybells are also called minneola tangelos and a tangelo is a cross between a tangerine (included in the mandarin orange family) and a grapefruit. There is plenty of info about tangelos on the internet so I don't think Cushmans or others are trying to hide anything. They also mention in the presentation that it is a hybrid. There are several different varieties of tangelos though. I've eaten honeybells and the taste and juiciness is, in my opinion, far superior to the tangelos that you buy in the supermarket. I used to get them but since I retired I don't spend that kind of money on fruit.

Honored Contributor

The Honeybells may be a special cultivar of the tangelo because they are different.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment