Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Who uses a recipe for soup?  Do people REALLY do that?  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Progresso traditional soups -- Hey I bought them , put them in my pantry , and snap the cap in MY home !Smiley Happy = homemade.

They are especially tasty when the  stores sell them for .99 if you buy 8 .

In cold weather I like my own chilli and pozole soup.

I find the small rice cookers or pressure cookers handy for bits and pieces of leftovers combined with broth handy for making 1 or 2 servings quick and tasty.

Esteemed Contributor

I make my Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup and Chili all winter long (actually early fall through late spring).  I normally make Beef Barley Vegetable soup at least once in the winter although the past few times I've made it, I used Quinoa instead of the Barley.  I also like to make Potato Soup at least once a season too but it's been about three years since I've made it.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Tonight I will finish up a batch of minestrone soup I made Saturday.  This recipe calls for red wine vinegar; I didn't have any the first time I made it but I did have an old bottle of balsamic vinegar and it really adds an amazing flavor to it.  

Other favorites are potato soup with green chiles and lentil soup.

Valued Contributor

@deepwaterdotter 

I make the Machine Sheds Potato Soup a lot, but mine is a little different. It's called Twice Baked Potato Soup and it has bacon in it, and I use chicken boullion. It is so good. I love any kind of potato soup!!

Not sure who posted that they like Campbells Bean with Bacon. I like that too but sometimes I mix that with a can of Cheddar Cheese, 1 can water and 1 can milk. Garnish it with cheese and garlic croutons. Yummmy!

cookin

Valued Contributor

Re: Homemade Soup

[ Edited ]

@amyb 

am so sorry, I thought I replied!  I use a vegetable broth, any store bought one your prefer. I'm sure a chicken broth would work just as well, but I'm a vegetarian.  

Also, if you haven't tried the butternut squash soup that @deepwaterdotter menrned, I second that recommendation! I've made it before and it was delicious, the apple really made it! That's huge coming from me, because I'm finicky about squash! 

Valued Contributor

Matzoh ball soup with chicken. I use the box mix(Streit).

I make it at home so, homemade!

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This AM. I'm making minestrone. I'm not using a recipe, I just checked a bunch of different recipes online and I'm winging it. It's a lot of prep work, but so far it smells great. I just added some parm , but I'm going to add the pasta separately as I serve it, so it  doesn't get mushy.  It's funny, minestrone is my favorite, but I've never made it. What is your favorite soup ? 

My favorite soup that I made is split pea, but only using Emeril Lagasse's recipe. It's definitely not a dump recipe, but AFAIC, it's worth it. It can be found on the Food Network. 

I use recipes because I want the benefit of what others have learned. I haven't made much soup in my life--I like stews better--but hope to do some this winter. I've just ordered Bernard Clayton's huge book of soups, stews, and breads, and am looking forward to trying out some of those recipes.

Trusted Contributor

I never use a recipe to make soups. Mainly because I prefer to make small amounts - just enough for 2 people.

So, today I made Broccoli and Potato Cheddar soup. I used about half of a head of broccoli, chopped. One mediu!m russet potato, cut into small chunks. Half of an onion, finely chopped, and a very small amount of diced carrot. One cup water and 2 cups chicken stock. Boil till veggies are soft. Add some half and half or cream and about half cup of Velveeta cheese or cheddar. Thicken with a tablespoon or two of flour mixed with a little water. Season with salt, pepper, and if desired, some red pepper flakes. If you like bacon, you can top with crumbled crisp bacon.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.