Respected Contributor

Homemade Olive Oil Dressing...QUESTION...

I've been making a really good simple olive oil dressing for salads. 

It calls for fresh minced garlic, freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt. 

The two items float around disgustingly in the bottom of my container.  Am I supposed to leave it in there or take it out and just use the olive oil?

If it's supposed to be left in, as it sinks to the bottom that's okay, just wondering what's the usual thing to do.

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Homemade Olive Oil Dressing...QUESTION...

Most of mine need shaking.  Would that do?

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Most of mine need shaking.  Would that do?

No, I shake it up really well and the spices don't disentigrate.  

Honored Contributor

You said yourself its really good, so don't mess with it.  Perhaps the ingredients are still difusing into the oil.  

Trusted Contributor

It's expected that those solid ingredients will settle under the oil. You're safe to serve the dressing in a vessel that can be shaken before pouring. A cruet with a cover or stopper would be ideal, if the dressing will be available on the table. Alternatively, you could shake the dressing and pour it into a shallow bowl with a small spoon to mix it before a guest could apply it to salad greens on their plate. 

Extra advice: don't substitute table salt for the kosher salt. The products are not interchangeable in the same amounts. 

I'm sure your dressing will be delicious; the ingredients are simple and very harmonious.  

Regular Contributor

Neither does Newman's olive oil salad dressing, which by the way is watered down and not as good as it used to be. No taste of olive oil, only water.

Good for you for making a good homemade OO dressing. Just shake it up, pour, enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I used to use fresh garlic in my dressing, but now I use garlic powder which just mixes in and gives plenty of that garlic flavor.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate  Shake the dressing really good before serving, and please share your recipe here.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I used to use fresh garlic in my dressing, but now I use garlic powder which just mixes in and gives plenty of that garlic flavor.

Good idea, I'll try that next time.