Respected Contributor

Re: Holy šŸ® ! The cost of butter!

@panda1234 wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

I keep waiting for butter to go on sale so I can stock up, but it's not happening around here.  Has the price of butter gone crazy everywhere, or is it unique to my area?

@Yesterday, the best deal on a pound of butter was the Kroger brand @ $3.99.   All the brand names were $5.19 and upwards.

I also shop Kroger.  Right now, at least in my area, they are have a Buy 10, save $5.  And you can mix and match.  Land O' Lakes butter is $2.49, Progresso soup 99 cents, coffee mate $1.99...etc.  The list is longer.  Pick 10 and pay the lower price.  In the past, I have also gotten butter at Costco (the Costco brand).  I haven't been to Costco in a long time, so I don't know what the price is now. 

@ScrapHappy  Costco is 4 lbs. for $8.59.

Thank you.  I don't get to Costco as often as I would like to.  Hopefully I can get there after Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy

Thank you. That's a great tip about using the plastic basket. I misread the sign and thought I'd have to buy 10 butters to get the sale price.  

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I know!  The Breakstone whipped butter used to have a sale price of 2 for $4.  Then, went up to 2 for $5.  Last week, it was marked down to $3 for one.  Luckily, I had a good coupon.

Honored Contributor

@Sueliz wrote:

I only use Kerry Gold and today I paid $3.59 for a pound.

Are you sure that's not for 8 oz.? I pay around that for 8oz. where I live.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  Just came back from Harris Teeters.  Sale on Land O' Lakes European Gold was buy one get one free--so I got two pounds for $7.29 plus 5% senior discount since it's Thursday.  $7 and change is about right for the regular price so it is a real deal.  

For this trip I only got two since they were out of unsalted which is my prefernce.  So I'll go back and get more when they restock since their weekly sale runs Wednesday through Tuesday.

As you have now concluded from your earlier post--price varies greatly around the country.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

Kroger had their store brand butter salted and unsalted for $2.99 a pound this morning.    I bought 6 lbs.  

The purpose of my trip today was to finish stocking the pantry and freezer.   Outside of bread, milk, and whatever we decide on for Christmas dinner, my shopping is done for the next few months.    

Honored Contributor

@RedTop

I can't even imagine!  I'm at the grocery store at least twice a week, usually more often.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

went to sams club today.

4 pounds of butter = $11.98 (yes, it has gone up since the last time i purchased from sams club)

1 pound kerry gold soft irish butter = $7.58

east coast, mid atlantic area

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Our local Dollar General has their Clover Valley brand of butter for $2.79 this week.   

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Maybe I'm mistaken, I always thought butter went up during the holidays  Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sometimes I could find a good price.

In my experience, there have usually been good sales around holiday times and I'd stock up.  I haven't seen a sale in at least a couple of years. I thought this was a widespread increase, but maybe it's more local.  The same thing happened with eggs.

@house_cat

The sales on butter this year are late, in my opinion too. 

Usually by now there has been at least one good sale of $1.99, but $2.50 is as low as we've seen, on house brands or on Land O Lakes. 

I haven't been in Aldi's in months though, so I don't know what might be going on there. 

This is indeed the time of year to stock up usually. I buy enough for the whole year and freeze it. Regular price here will be anywhere from $3 to $6 a pound most of the year, depending on brand and store. 

Eggs are really weird in this general area. Most grocery store Grade A Large eggs are going for 49 cents or a little more a dozen. Jumbo for .69. But when we go to Amish country, the factory eggs there in the stores are like $1.29. 

Milk is the same. Some stores have milk regularly for about $1 a gallon, others more like $1.59. 

All these prices are way down in this area relative to several years ago. Back when my son was still home and in school (4-6 years ago) the cost was staggering. Of course when I no longer have to feed him, the prices come down. Go figure!