Honored Contributor

Holy šŸ® ! The cost of butter!

I keep waiting for butter to go on sale so I can stock up, but it's not happening around here.  Has the price of butter gone crazy everywhere, or is it unique to my area?

Yesterday, the best deal on a pound of butter was the Kroger brand @ $3.99.   All the brand names were $5.19 and upwards.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Holy šŸ® ! The cost of butter!

I haven't noticed an increase here.  One pound of Wegmans butter is $2.49; organic is $4.49.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I'm mistaken, I always thought butter went up during the holidays  Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sometimes I could find a good price.

Honored Contributor

These prices have been consistently high in my area for at least the last two years.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 6.31.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 6.31.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 6.32.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 6.32.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 6.32.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 6.36.20 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Maybe I'm mistaken, I always thought butter went up during the holidays  Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sometimes I could find a good price.

In my experience, there have usually been good sales around holiday times and I'd stock up.  I haven't seen a sale in at least a couple of years. I thought this was a widespread increase, but maybe it's more local.  The same thing happened with eggs.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I keep waiting for butter to go on sale so I can stock up, but it's not happening around here.  Has the price of butter gone crazy everywhere, or is it unique to my area?

@Yesterday, the best deal on a pound of butter was the Kroger brand @ $3.99.   All the brand names were $5.19 and upwards.

I also shop Kroger.  Right now, at least in my area, they are have a Buy 10, save $5.  And you can mix and match.  Land O' Lakes butter is $2.49, Progresso soup 99 cents, coffee mate $1.99...etc.  The list is longer.  Pick 10 and pay the lower price.  In the past, I have also gotten butter at Costco (the Costco brand).  I haven't been to Costco in a long time, so I don't know what the price is now. 

Respected Contributor

I usually stock up on it at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter . Aldis will sometimes have it for $1.99 . It freezes well.  I haven't noticed any great sales yet but I only purchase Land o Lakes when it is on sale. I always keep an eye on Kroger's paper ad and digital coupons (love them ).

Oh well , milk prices are relly low now at least Smiley Happy of course I am not a dairy farmer.

Trusted Contributor

Yep, same here in Western NY!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I haven't bought any lately so haven't noticed.  I always buy the store/generic brand - so much cheaper.  

Honored Contributor

i usually buy kerrygold butter and that is always on the more expensive side.

i also buy four pounds of butter at sams club anytime i am low. it is usually four pounds for under $10. will definitely be buying that soon.

i go through a lot of butter during the last two months of the year.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein