Valued Contributor

Re: Holiday Food from the Q that was a flop.......and go.

[ Edited ]

Greenhead Maine split lobster tails is very good but expensive.  They are easy to cook (I just steam them for 7 minutes) but having them already split is ultra convenient and easy to serve and eat.

Trusted Contributor

I ordered the Harry and David truffles (set of 2 boxes) during one of the Christmas in July shows. The price was about half of what they charge on the Harry and David website. 

I wanted one box for me/company and one for a gift. So glad that I opened the box I was keeping. The candy was horrible. Each piece was hard and crumbly. (I have purchased these direct from Harry and David in the past and the truffles were so good). What a disapointment. These were offered on AD and I cancelled the delivery due around Easter. 

Contributor

Jimmy the Baker's Gingerbread Poundcake and Cinnamon Swirl Pound Cake were dry, dry, dry!!!  Learned my lesson.  Thank goodness they weren't given as gifts for the holidays.

Valued Contributor

Jimmy the Baker and I broke up a long time ago......I really wanted to like his stuff as much as i like Jimmy and his presentations. I bought the crumb cakes once and they were HORRIBLE.....Jimmy needs to revamp his line. and his recipes.

Regular Contributor

Wow, looks as if we should have ordered the Goat Poop, lol. We kept looking at it, but decided not to bc we’d already ordered other food items for us and gifts.

Mrs. Prindables pretzels are always at hit with us and our Co-workers. A friend of mine found a “knock off” version at Aldi that are pretty good too...not as much caramel though.

We also gifted Cheryl’s cookies and kept a few for ourselves. Those are always good. We’ve never had a bad bunch. We really liked the Brookies. They were wonderful warmed in the microwave for a few seconds.

All that stuff was good, but we’re glad it’s out of the house now, lol.
Super Contributor

Understandable that you couldn't eat them because of your dental work, but why not share them with someone else rather than discard them?

Respected Contributor

The two food items I regularly buy from Q are Cheryl's cookies (love!)  and Mamie's Pies. I love Mamies but they are pricey for no bigger than they are. The blueberry pies are my fave!

Respected Contributor

@bluetail fly Farmer John's candied type popcorn, it was not virtually hull less. Is there a such thing ? I purchased some at the store and it was like eating packing pods.

Contributor

Ordered Corky's ham and turkey with glaze combo most of it went to the trash. There was 14 of us and we all determined the glaze was the problem. It had a medicinal taste and ruined both the ham and turkey. I did complain to customer service and got a refund. I will never order from them again!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was my first year ordering food from the Q. Was looking forward to the Beatrice Bakery Fruitcake but it wasn't a good experience for me. I gambled on the chocolate version and have decided that the words   chocolate and fruitcake do not belong in the same sentence. It was just awful. While the traditional version was quite generously  sprinkled with the fruits and nuts and it was well "seasoned" with the alcohol, it was very doughy and undercooked. If there had been a little more cake to fruit&nut ratio and was properly baked, it would have been perfect. Both cakes ended up uneaten and had to be thrown away. Sadly, the fruitcake experience was cash in the trash. 😫

The Cheryl's Cookies were a big hit and everyone enjoyed the variety. The frosted cookies somehow seemed to stay fresh longer than the unfrosted though, so next time, I will stick with the frosted assortment. The unfrosted varieties seemed a little stale right out of the box. 

The Harry London chocolates were pretty good, but the big tin was just too much for the size of our family. It was really sweet so not sure I'll do that again.

My favorite food offering was actually the Liberty Orchard confections. They were quite tasty, with a fresh, natural  fruit flavor. They were quite sweet so one was just right for a treat. I actually preferred the nut free varieties so hopefully they will expand that selection.