Respected Contributor

Hmmm? National Turkey Shortage??

Just received my Piggly Wiggly grocery ad flyer in the mail. This usually arrives on Tues. as the sale starts on Wed. Selling Jennie-O Frozen turkey 39¢ lb. or Butterball 97¢ lb. Both require your store card & $25 purchase, limit one & no rainchecks. Sounds ok so far; however, right under the ad reads, "Buy your turkey early-Nationwide Shortage." Has anyone heard about this? LOL - should I be there at opening time on Wed. Or line up overnight?!!! Here we go again. Grocery shortages? I hope not.
Respected Contributor

Re: Hmmm? National Turkey Shortage??

@MOMMAVik I heard a news report on "small" turkeys or a turkey breast being in short supply.  News is that with small groups due to covid, small is selling quick, big birds are plentiful as large gatherings are discouraged.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I heard that too. The ad says 10 - 23 lbs. I prefer a smaller bird too but whatever I can find I'll take. Even turkey parts if I can find them. Happy holidays!
Respected Contributor

I heard Small turkeys as well.  Higher dmand for small birds.  Also heard it explained as there weren't enough people to process the young birds due to covid so the birds grew bigger before processing. 

Respected Contributor

Our Fry's grocery stores have Butterball turkeys for .98 a pound, no additional purchase required. I was able to find several in the 11 pound range, so I bought one. 
Their Kroger brand is .68 a pound. 

Respected Contributor

I was at Walmart on Saturday specifically to get a turkey breast (bone in).  They had plenty whole Butterball turkeys and a few whole Jennie ) turkeys but few turkey breasts (Honeysuckle).  I'd say about 7 or 8.  I wanted a Butterball but since they didn't have it, I got the Honeysuckle turkey breast.  I never had that brand before, I hope it's good.  

Instead of my husband's work Christmas party, they are having Honey Baked Ham deliver a choice of ham, turkey or dessert to your house.  We opted for the whole smoked turkey (they only had whole) but my husband said he got an email today that it's sold out.  In our new choices were a smoked turkey breast, which we picked.  

Trusted Contributor

Last year I just made a breast, but this year I decided that I want dark meat. I saw an ad for Walmart small Butterball turkeys, so I went to get one. They had about 6 left. I got the smallest of the smalls and it is about 10 pounds. Not cheap though. It was about $1.98 a pound, but I got it anyway.

A couple years ago I got a little one and took it out of the freezer too early and it was defrosted almost overnight. I ended up making my Thanksgiving dinner that year on a Tuesday!

Good luck on your tukey hunts!

Honored Contributor

@MOMMAVik 

I figured there would be an issue, why wouldn't there be?  It's always something.  I'm shopping Thursday.

Honored Contributor

no shortage in amarillo, tx. Freezers full. I just always buy the off brand small ones at 7-8.00.   all that dark stuff, thighs, legs, etc. I'd pitch out to the dogs. LOL

Big birds, Honeysuckle is the best. Just ask my sister LOL  All she will allow

in the house.  Butterball is 2nd.

We just buy store brands.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I was at Walmart on Saturday specifically to get a turkey breast (bone in).  They had plenty whole Butterball turkeys and a few whole Jennie ) turkeys but few turkey breasts (Honeysuckle).  I'd say about 7 or 8.  I wanted a Butterball but since they didn't have it, I got the Honeysuckle turkey breast.  I never had that brand before, I hope it's good.  

Instead of my husband's work Christmas party, they are having Honey Baked Ham deliver a choice of ham, turkey or dessert to your house.  We opted for the whole smoked turkey (they only had whole) but my husband said he got an email today that it's sold out.  In our new choices were a smoked turkey breast, which we picked.  

I hope that I can ease your mind @ScrapHappy and tell you that Honeysuckle turkey is a very good turkey brand.

I've bought their brand and Butterball and Jenni-O plus the store-brand turkeys over the years, and I don't think that you can really go wrong no matter what you do, in my own opinion...

Honeysuckle turkey has their own website that has cooking tips, recipes, and instructions if you'd like some ideas on cooking your turkey. Smiley Happy