Honored Contributor

Re: Hey everyone, special cooking for September 2017???

@Danky wrote:

Good Morning @proudlyfromNJ---- I would guess you worked for Pan Am

since they had a customer service center in this area maybe 30 years ago.

I would love to GIVE you as many eggs as you would like if we had made a connection under other circumstances. But, unfortunately , there is no possibility of me ever sharing my e-mail, name or specific address on line.

As you know, the town I live in is very small and my giving out the info that I have already given was probably not that smart. 

I'm sorry that it is not possible and hope you have a wonderful weekend.                   

ETA---Eggland's Best sells cage-free eggs and WHOLE FOODS , you may not know, has a store in Closter. Hope that helps.

@Danky.  Yes, it was Pan Am. We went out of business about 26 years ago. It was the Accounting offices, computer center, payroll, etc. I think they had left customer service in Manhattan.

Anyway, yes I agree I will have to keep up the search for the eggs. 
Didn't realize there was a Whole Foods in Closter. I am now patiently waiting for the new Wegmans to open. It's closer to me than Whole Foods. Hoping they will have my eggs!

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ---I didn't quite remember what PA did at that location...

just remembered they were there.

I got a booklet in yesterday's mail about Wegmans.....I 'm looking forward to checking it out also. I think it opens on the 24th. You must remember the original Tice's Farm with their made in front of you donuts. Loved that place.

Now they have Tice's Corners across the street...I think I've been there once.

Respected Contributor

@Danky  I just read about your eggs and that you have so many you had to feed them to the dogs.  Could you please come over to Philadelphia and sell them here?.  You could get very rich.   I have not eaten an egg with great taste in decades.  I grew up on a small farm in Germany on top of a mountain range and those eggs were out of this world.   But I liked the goose eggs best - so rich.

Respected Contributor

Danky, again welcome to this thread - it is a great thread. Was started by Rabbit, aka Shirley many years ago. I went to see her - she lives in Virginia on a great homestead which belonged to her husband's family. I wish she still came here but she stays super busy helping others.

Leah is my two year old great great  granddaughter and Ricky is her brother my three year old great great grandson. For now I have custody of them approved by the court and CPS - which I detest with a passion, however what can I say. Not sure how much longer they will be allowed to live with me as I am super old and CPS is rearing it's head because I do not have family members here to help with them. mY daughter died when she was 35, and she had three grandchildren. Two of those three while born and raised here wound up in Topeka, Ks where their father went as they closed the Railroad station here - he, like his grandpa, was a railroader. I say was because my grands lost their Dad when he was only 49 - it's been hard for them. At any rate Davey is my 16 - almost 17 - year old great grandson - he lives here. There was a time when I lived alone and it was heavenly, LOL, but now we just wait to see what is going to happen. The two little ones are the children of DAvey's sister Tessa, who messed up her life. I do not believe she will regain custody but you never know.

At any rate I had 3 dozen brown shelled organic eggs given me the other day. I love the brown shelled ones and as far as I am concerned I think they are the best. During WWII my MOther raised chickens - help put food on the table and we had some brown egg laying chickens. Only chickens I can remember having were Rhode Island Reds and golly, forgot the name of the other two kinds, one were white and one were striped - grey and white. I could NEVER go back to those years when it comes to raising animals. Only because I have vivid memories of preparing some for eating and I would never do that now. My older brother and I also rode the tobacco sleds picking tobacco. What can I say - I grew up in NC and at that time that was the biggest tobacco growing state around.

Again welcome and I enjoy your commentaries - Hope all are having a great day.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CLEM wrote:

@Danky  I just read about your eggs and that you have so many you had to feed them to the dogs.  Could you please come over to Philadelphia and sell them here?.  You could get very rich.   I have not eaten an egg with great taste in decades.  I grew up on a small farm in Germany on top of a mountain range and those eggs were out of this world.   But I liked the goose eggs best - so rich.

Hi @CLEM-----as I said I am not an egg enthusiast but I absolutely agree that there is no comparison in taste between mine and store bought. You can see the difference in quality just by looking at the raw egg. 

We have pretty strict ordinances in the borough that I live in....We had to get special written permission for the hens and we cannot have a rooster even though I have a lot of land. My DH wanted geese , he too preferred their eggs, but was convinced that we would never get permission because they are so noisy. 

It is nice to know that people like you and @proudlyfromNJ would really enjoy the fruits of our ( well in all honesty not my) labor. You might be surprised at the number of people who want no part of eggs that don't come from the grocery store.

Eggs are almost the perfect food for dogs. They eat them raw and ,because the eggs have never been treated ,I feed them the shells also.

When I read where you grew up, I immediately thought of The Sound Of 

Music......different country but just as enchanting and beautiful I am certain.

Sprechen sie Duetsche ?

Respected Contributor

@Danky  That's so funny that you didn't get permission for a rooster.  But perhaps it was for the same reason as that for the geese.  A rooster would wake up the whole population at the crack of dawn.  And geese can be very loud; in fact they are much better watch dogs than dogs.  Ours always woke up the dog when something was going on.   And the gander (sp) can be quite mean.  A couple of weeks ago I needed to get something to make my eyebrows more visible so I went to Lancome.  When the woman put the product on to show me how to apply it, she was puzzled that I had a rather large scar there.  I had to tell her that one of these guys had flown on my head and tried to pick at my eye.  I was about 6 at the time.  But their eggs taste wonderful.

Respected Contributor

Hi everyone - been a long and exhausting day. Was up at 5:30 this a.m., tried to stay sane and left the house about 11 this morning. Davey went with me - took the little ones to visit their Mother. Visit went super well but did not get back home until a little before 7 this evening. Traffic was a nightmare and during all of that two very bad wrecks. Took the little ones to stay the night and tomorrow with Sherry, Davey and I stopped to eat in San Bernardino and now am home. My house is a pig pen but not much will get done this evening - did start the dishwasher however. Before church tomorrow I plan to feed the birds - they have waited quite long enough.

Davey has already left to spin the night with Joey. LOL

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. right now cloudy very foggy and very muggy but should get sunny later. we dont feed birds outside but i do feed my inlaws parrot.last night we just had left overs for dinner.hope all of you have a great day.

Honored Contributor

I'm going all out with a special Sunday dinner for my family, as we are celebrating my husbands birthday.   Trucker girl got in this morning and goes back out tomorrow afternoon, so this will be the only big meal I cook while she's home, and the biggest meal I cook all week.

We're having rib roast, baked potatoes, fresh green beans, deviled eggs, cole slaw, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.   Homemade pound cake with blackberry sauce for dessert.  

Contributor

I hope everyone has a relaxing and fun Sunday. I will be doing laundry and watching football. I am planning on grilling pork chops and potatoes for dinner. Yesterday I went to Dunkin Donuts and won a prize of free coffee for a year! It's right on my way to work so hooray for me! I better get started on my chores, this is me procrastinating.