Respected Contributor

Re: Hey everyone, special cooking for September 2017???

HI Everyone--- I hope it was a wonderful Sunday for all of you.

My BF and I went into NYC for a late lunch/early dinner. I had chicken parm

with all the regular sides and assorted Italian pastries for dessert.

Now I am over-full, lethargic and ready for bed.......so I sent him home, got

cozy under a quilt, opened the window to let in the nippy night air and am watching 60 minutes then Big Brother and Good Night.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1-----I LOVE all cream pies. There was a bakery in Woonsocket that made pineapple cream and apple cream pies. I have never seen them any where else. YUMMY !

Respected Contributor

danky all sounds really good/ havnt hurd of those lind of pies but sound yummy.  we are waiting for big brother as well.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

danky all sounds really good/ havnt hurd of those lind of pies but sound yummy.  we are waiting for big brother as well.

So you are a BB fan as am I. Do you have a favorite/least favorite player ? How wonderful that your family enjoys the show with you. My DH was permanently affixed to Fox News or football and the one time I guilted him into watching with me

his constant comments drove me crazy. 

Respected Contributor

Have chicken breasts in the WOK along with some fresh cut potatoes - red skin of course. In a short while will add teriyaki sauce - also have some carrots cooking separately. Would have tossed them in the WOK also but wanted the energy going to the potatoes. Chicken was already cooked and frozen so does not need the lengthy heat.

Super windy and a muggy day. Yesterday was heavenly but today did not follow the same. They have issued dust storm warnings - we have warnings for everything it seems. LOL. And the winds could mean more fires. Sigh.

Pooky1 and all - your food looks good!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Winifred

Just stumbled on this....new to Kitchen forum! I used to go to Oak Glen as a kid/teen with my family. I remember my mother always wanting the apples because they weren't "cold storage apples" like you get in the stores. I remember my times there fondly. Last time I was there was when my boyfriend (now husband of 29 years as of 9-9) came along with my family and I for a day there. Mom always packed a basket of fried chicken and macaroni salad. We would all have pie from the cafe there and eat in the center grass area. Cheddar cheese of course on top.

I now live at the top of the state and yep....hotter than ever here too. It was triple digits all summer and we too got the rain one day. Looks to be starting a cooling trend after today. Today it's supposed to be 104. 

Come on FALL!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

welcome birdiegal. the more the merryer. allways like see new people .tonight for dinner maria made chicken quasadeas. really good.and danky. this season my favorates are alex and paul.hope everyone has a great week.

Respected Contributor

Birdie Gal - did you ever stop at the OLD school house up in Oak Glen. It is made of stone - one room of course - and the greatest thing ever for a school. We use to go there a lot and eat out in their "school yard". It is now closed but what fun to go in. Those Oak Glen Apples are indeed the very best ever. The community is still going strong. Susan Anton grew up there - and her parents, Wally and Lou were super people. Wally was a deputy sheriff and Lou was just such a very neat person. Ahhhhh, the good old times - neither are with us any more. Law's is still there and they have great apple pie. Please come back and visit. Pooky1 is right, we LOVE visitors but we want those visitors to stay.

Have the little girl here going thru everything in my dresser - she is getting to be something else = but adorable all the way. Well most of the time.Cat LOL

Another humid day today - not in triple digits but when that humidity sets in, I struggle.

Am having leftovers tonight, spaghetti, Teriyaki dish and whatever else I can drag up. Like pickled artichoke hearts.

Trusted Contributor

@Winifred

Oh yessss! I remember the old school house. And the petting zoo! I mean, I started going there as a toddler! We would spend all day there and roam everywhere. Sometimes mom and dad would pack us up in the motor home and we'd even spend the night. One of the things I can still recall is the SMELL...OH MY! Like nothing else. Nice fall day, the crisp-sweet smell of apples. We would come home with so many. Roman Beauties were Mom's favorite (made great pies). Sadly I have never had them again...can't find them anywhere.  I love that place. Maybe next time my husband and I travel south to "visit" my parents...we will take a trip there for nostalgia sake.

(Mom and Dad passed a couple of years ago, 1 week apart and are still together)

Respected Contributor

Oak Glen is busier than it ever was. Lot more shops and things to do and they still have a petting zoo - only a couple critters in it now. On second thought I could be wrong as I did not check out where the zoo was - it still could be there. I was thinking of the critters they have always had in front of the museum. They have been there since day 1.

Good night all.