Honored Contributor

Re: Hey everyone, special cooking for September 2017???

Last night, it was fried chicken and a potato salad I made the day before, the cool saldad was perfect for such hot weather.  Sunday night hamburgers and leftover mac salad, and a side of tomatoes each night, have to eat them when they ripen.  I didn't want to be over a hot stove during the heat.  It will be leftovers most of this week, except for cooking sausages to go with the mac salad, the potato salad I eat by the spoonful through the day, so that won't last long, lol.

This morning, I gathered figs, some were very ripe which I ate for breakfast, the others not ripe enough yet, but decided they could ripen on the counter.  Last year, I hardly got any figs due to the squirrels, so they can have the figs at the top of the tree, but I will harvest as many as I can reach, and thankfully, the branches are very flexible so I can grab a branch and pull it to me for picking.

Respected Contributor

we had squrrels climbing corn plants and eatting corn.we have solar stakes in garden to keep pests away. everything else stayed away but not squirrels.

Respected Contributor

.hello everyone . hope all is having a great day. down here cloudy and showers and thunder storms and muggy. yuck.  50s at night less humid and highs in 70s. we love it like that.yestauday maria made pesto pasta with peppers and hamberger. yum, and now she just finished white clam chowder .when were ready to eat i will make clam cakes. she goes to doctor tomorrow. shes still tired and food taste crappy. she said mashed potatoes dont taste to bad though. so i made her some a few times. hope everyone has a great week and good luck to anyone in the hurricane irmas path.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

.hello everyone . hope all is having a great day. down here cloudy and showers and thunder storms and muggy. yuck.  50s at night less humid and highs in 70s. we love it like that.yestauday maria made pesto pasta with peppers and hamberger. yum, and now she just finished white clam chowder .when were ready to eat i will make clam cakes. she goes to doctor tomorrow. shes still tired and food taste crappy. she said mashed potatoes dont taste to bad though. so i made her some a few times. hope everyone has a great week and good luck to anyone in the hurricane irmas path.

@Pooky1----Do you make traditional clam cakes like we have in Rhode Island ? Balls of dough with chopped clams added and then deep fried...

one of the most perfect foods in the world along with New England clam chowder and fried whole belly clams. I know what I'm having for dinner !

Respected Contributor

yes . we bought kenyons clamcake mix. and new england clam chowder home made. danky your from ri. we are in ri also. cranston ri.i havnt seen anyone on here from ri. someone that use to live in ri years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe it, but I am still trying to be creative with zucchini!! All of our plants survived and just keep producing. I have made more zucchini bread - using different recipes - than I ever have before! A co-worker gave me Paula Dean's recipe with yogurt, brown sugar and chocolate chips, and it's DH's new favorite. Froze 12 Qts. of diced tomatoes on Saturday and made minestrone with the remaining tomatoes, beans and zucchini. On Labor Day we smoked sausages, trout, and cauliflower cheese casserole. It's good to be smoking again!

Respected Contributor

all sounds great pa mom mom. welcome. this the first time i saw you on here. we allways like seeing new people on here,  and if you have been here before than im sorry i missed you .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pooky1------Rhode Island is where I have been spending summers from the time I was born. I know the state like my own backyard. My grandparents built a summer cottage in Westerly 100+ years ago and I now own it.  My primary residence is a small town in NJ within walking distance of the NY state border. I spend most of the summer here in RI and boat over to Block Island 3-4 times a week.

We had some friends who lived on Chestnut Ave in Cranston. We grew up on Buckwheat cakes for Sunday breakfast. Once a week we would go over to the Kenyon Grist Mill to get coffee syrup, grains, mixes, maple and fruit syrups, etc.

Do you remember Almacs and Finest Super markets ? 

Wow---it's like I ran into an old friend. 

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom------I love, love, love zucchini. I am not very creative when preparing it though. I either stuff it or sauté large chunks with onions, garlic and sweet peppers. Add some tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese and I could eat it every day.

The food you prepared sounds delicious and very ambitious.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danky wrote:

@PA Mom-mom------I love, love, love zucchini. I am not very creative when preparing it though. I either stuff it or sauté large chunks with onions, garlic and sweet peppers. Add some tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese and I could eat it every day.

The food you prepared sounds delicious and very ambitious.

@Danky Hahaha! I just try to be creative out of self defense! If you don't eat zucchini, it will eat you! (Can't you see it out there in the garden creeping toward your door?) I won't go into details, but needless to say, I have tried zucchini in every way, shape or form. But, I must say, it does play well with tomatoes and Parm.