Honored Contributor

Here's why today's dinner cost me $320...

My son and DIL are going to be with her family out of town on Thanksgiving. They asked if we could celebrate at my house today.  Well, that meant I had only Saturday to prepare everything and I spent way too many hours standing in the kitchen. When I woke up this morning I was nearly crippled with leg pain.  DH said I should order the gel mats for in front of the sink and prep area.  I just ordered them and even with the free shipping code it cost $320.  I hope they help and that I didn't just make a costly mistake.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Here's why today's dinner cost me $320...

You are a living doll to do that and at last moment's notice!  That's quite and undertaking---being a Thanksgiving dinner as opposed to just being a nice Saturday dinner.

If they don't work, can you return them?

Respected Contributor

I have one of those gel mats in my kitchen area.  I like it a lot.  I don't really have problems with my legs but it does make it more comfortable when standing at my kitchen sink or counters.  

I think you will be pleased with your purchase.  I bet you will notice a difference when standing for a long period of time.  It will take a little time to get used to the feeling under your feet but in the long run I think you will be happy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl 

@Lucky Charm 

Thanks, ladies. I really hope so. It's a lot of money to spend if they don't help.

When "the kids" told me they were going to her family for Thanksgiving, my first thought was, "Yippee! I don't have to cook!" Then my son said to me, "You moved all this way so we can spend holidays together and I don't want to miss the first one".  Well, what can I say to that?

It was a lovely day and my older son, who is single, was able to join us, so our Thanksgiving 2021 is a wrap.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Nice compromise. Hopefully, next time you can get a bit of advanced notice. 

Honored Contributor

@icezeus 

Just to clarify, I did have a week's notice but I was working all week and had no time for prepping.  Ironically, now I have this coming week off from school ... not complaining about that!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Know nothing of the mats you mentioned. You'll have to let us know what you think of them.

Respected Contributor

Those mats are tempting but I just know I would trip over them so no go for me.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

When "the kids" told me they were going to her family for Thanksgiving, my first thought was, "Yippee! I don't have to cook!" Then my son said to me, "You moved all this way so we can spend holidays together and I don't want to miss the first one".  Well, what can I say to that?

To me, what might have been even nicer... if your son had said, "C'mon over to OUR house Saturday.  We'll cook for YOU."

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

They only gave you one day notice or you are working and wouldn't have time before Saturday...or did I misunderstand?

No offers to help?

That's mighty nice of you if either one is the case, but, no, I wouldn't do it even if my legs didn't hurt.  

It sounds like they should be making dinner for you.  

Thanksgiving here is only held on the day designated.  No dinners before or after that day.  I suppose I am a meany and do understand your DIL wants to spend Thanksgiving with her family, but I wouldn't make two dinners for those who want a different day and others who prefer it on Thanksgiving day; which includes me, the hardworking cook.

I'd offer them a leftover dinner on Friday or Saturday.  

Anyway, hope your mats work out and your legs begin to feel better.