Respected Contributor

Help with Cuisinart shredding

[ Edited ]

I have always grated my latkes by hand- with a grater that I have used for over 40 years..

As age and arthritis set in, I wanted to try using my Cuisinart to do this chore so I used the shredding disc that came with my  (very old) machine- It was quick and easy, and I thought I had found a great time saver, but.....

The "shreds" seemed almost more like short julienne..they  were too large..I cant explain it, they LOOKED right, but they were wrong..They didnt "meld" together  like they should when cooked..

I checked the blade, thinking it was a "Julienne"  blade, but it says "Medium Shred" on it.

I looked online for other discs,  and the "fine" disc seems to be more for parmesan cheese, or so it seemed from the reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I dont do potato pancakes that often, but when I do, I want them to be right..

I even thought of using my disc and then putting back in with the knife blade  for a pulse or two to sort of "chop" these large shreds..

Any advice?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Help with Cuisinart shredding

I think the secret is to cut the potatoes in pretty small pieces.  I've been making them like that for years, but it took me a while to realize that.  I also make potato kugel the same way.

Respected Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

I think the secret is to cut the potatoes in pretty small pieces.  I've been making them like that for years, but it took me a while to realize that.  I also make potato kugel the same way.

I see, so if the pieces are "shorter" to begin with, then the shreds will be shorter too..Makes sense, THANKS!

Trusted Contributor

Yes