Valued Contributor

Help, please, with brown stain in my pot

Our whole city was under a boil advisory until today due to a burst main (or whatever?) where over 100 million gallons of water were lost. While the boil advisory was on, I got out an old pressure cooker my mom had (was the biggest thing I could find) and filled it with water and boiled it. Today I emptied it and the bottom and sides were all stained brown. I've tried Comet, Barkeeper's Friend, and vinegar with baking soda to get it out--no success. Would anyone have any suggestions--would so appreciate it. By the way, I don't know if the pot is stainless steel or aluminum (engraving on the bottom is almost completely worn away). Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Help, please, with brown stain in my pot

Try a very strong solution of water and white vinegar, and let it sit in the pot overnight.   

Honored Contributor

I find that cooking tomato sauce gets stains out of my pots.  Maybe you need to make a pot of sauce!

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

I found this interesting.  Hope you find something!   

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/pan-cleaning-myths-and-what-actually-works/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

My old stand by is clorox, water, let it stand over night. I'd use a half cup clorox to a full pan of water. Hope this helps. If it does then put a little vinegar and water in pot and bring it to boil.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. After I posted, I was going to try some Clorox but first decided to look online to see if I was using the Barkeepers Friend correctly since, I hear, it usually works fairly well. Discovered that I should let it sit in the pan for a couple of minutes and then scrub. So, I tried doing that and it worked. Took a couple of applications, but now my pot looks pretty good again. Again. thanks to all of you.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper   You'll think this odd but I'd use alcohol, yes rubbing alcohol. Pour some in your pot to cover the stain, let it sit over night. Wash the next morning and see if this takes it out.

You'd be amazed at all rubbing alcohol can do for you. Use the 91% is you can.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I find that cooking tomato sauce gets stains out of my pots.  Maybe you need to make a pot of sauce!

I don't think I would do that with a boil advisory in place.  The brown substance could be part of what they were trying to sanitize.  I do know that ketchup will work if you let it sit for about five minutes.  I read the link that was provided here.  There were some tried and true ones on there like Bar Keeper's Friend and aluminum foil to scrub with, but not on a coated pan.  I've also used a Magic Eraser or borax dissolved in hot water and left to sit 5-10 minutes.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've used Dawn (original -blue) on the bins of dehumidfyers and that's worked. I think I would do a layer of Dawn over the bottom of the pot and add hot water and let it sit for a day or two. 

Trusted Contributor

I have also used a dryer sheet, cover with water, and let it sit, with my stainless, and this has worked for me....

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......