Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heirloom tomato abundanza! Help!

@depglass wrote:

My mouth is literally watering reading this thread.  I have frozen these whole in the past after peeling in a hot water bath.  I like the idea of cutting up first, mainly to get the juice out.  So that's what I'm doing this year.  Thanks for the hint.  The juice?  I'll drink that while I'm working.

I'll strain off the juice and freeze in I've cube trays. Throw the juice cubes into your soup or sauce. The juice is very flavorsome in some varieties I've grown. 😋

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat- Now, I want the cucumbers!  The salsa verde sounds good.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   I wish you were my neighbor.  I put Panzanella on this week's menu, then forgot to buy the tomatoes.  Woman Embarassed

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG 

I wish that, too! How much fun it would be if all of us recipe forum friends were in the same neighborhood!

~ house cat ~
Contributor

I dry tomatoes in the oven on low heat  - 250- or less on silicone mats. I scoop out seeds and juice with my finger if needed.  I cut them in slices if needed.  Halves work for small tomatoes. Lightly sprinkle with salt and sugar.  Keep a close watch  as they take a few hours. Different sizes will vary the time.  They will burn if they go too long.  I store them in zip locks in the freezer.  So good. Amazing in sauces.