Honored Contributor

Re: Heavy Whipping cream - too thick?

"With the help of joyofbaking.com, I learned that heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are essentially the same thing: cream that contains 36 percent or more milk fat. Whipping cream is a bit lighter, with only 30 percent milk fat. Heavy cream will whip better and hold it's shape longer than whipping cream.

The more fat content a cream contains, the more stable it's likely to be in a whipped state."

"I would prefer even to to fail with honor than win by cheating." - Sophocles
Respected Contributor

I'll confess to tossing a small carton of heavy cream about a month ago.  It was so thick it would not pour, I thought it must be either spoiled or within hours of going sour.  I've bought heavy cream before but never had this experience.  Now I'll know to shake it up, probably as soon as I get it home and every day until it is used.

When I was a child my mom bought fresh milk from a local farmer.  A glob of thick cream would be at the top of each glass bottle.  I should have remembered that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use heavy whipping cream all the time as does my MIL (we live about 15 minutes apart). No matter where we shop, no issues with the cream being too thick to pour. Also, I always shake mine before using it. No clue why I've just always done it. Maybe saw it growing up?

Honored Contributor

It may be that some cream is not homogenized, and it may have to do also with pasturized and ultra pasturized--and therefore affect whether some of the cream is heavier and fat rises to the top.  

I have only had this happen to the organic cream come to think of it.  It didn't used to happen when I bought off the shelf in the grocery store.  I'll have to look carefully at the labels.