Super Contributor

Heavy Whipping cream - too thick?

For the past year or so, I've been having issues with the heavy whipping cream I've been purchasing. It doesn't seem to matter where I buy it (Aldi, Kroger, Walmart).   More than half the time, the consistency of the cream is extrmely thick and almost not pourable out of the container. It's never past expiration, or even close to exiration date, and I never let it sit out at room temperature. 

I'm posting this here out of curiosity - has anyone else had any issues with unsually thick whipping cream? It's unusable for some recipes when it is llike that and I'm getting tired of throwing my money away!

On a slightly different note, but while I'm musing about dairy oddities, I may as well ask this too:  The last couple of container of half and half I purchased have expiration dates that are months out. This morning I bought some thar expires in mid september!  I looked at the ingredients to make sure there aren't any preservatives, and there are none listed. How can this be?  I'm pretty sure that expiration dates on half and half/milk products didn't used to be so far out. 

Something seems really weird in dairy land to me, LOL. Maybe I just need a nap. Smiley Embarassed

Trusted Contributor

Re: Heavy Whipping cream - too thick?

Half & half is shelf stable for a long time if it is ultra pasteurized. 

I don't know what's up with your heavy cream as I never buy it.  I would take it back to the store and get a refund. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anita Hug, I have bought several containers of whipping cream in the last year or so, and I haven't had that problem. I bought them either at Kroger or Wal Mart. That seems weird.

Does it taste ok? I know you said it was so thick sometimes it was unuseable. Costs too much for that, thats for sure.

I have noticed that about the half and half too. My skim milk use to go bad before the expiration date half the time, lately I have not been doing a good job with fridge keeping. And the milk that is a few days past exp date smells and tastes fine.

Super Contributor

Thanks.  Just asked my daughter about this, and she noticed the same thing about the whipping cream. I wonder if it is an area thing? Maybe the stores use the same distributer?    We like making our own whipped cream with an isi whipped cream maker, so the cream needs to be pourable, and it often isn't these days.  Very frustrating.

I may be hallucinating the half and half thing with the expiration dates. Maybe I've never noticed it before.  I'm pretty sure the kind I buy from the dairy case isn't shelf stable. It says on the container that it must be refrigerated.  

I"m trying to be aware of what I put in my body, so I don't want any surprises in my food. I also don't like the extra stuff they add to our meat in the form of "up 12% solution added to enhance flavor" that they put in tiny print on the label. What IS that solution, and where can I get some meat without it? And where can I get some half and half that will spoil normally? LOL

It's not that I WANT things to go bad faster. But if they aren't gonna tell me what they did to it to make it last longer, just give me the regular stuff and I'll use it up like I always have.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

For the past year or so, I've been having issues with the heavy whipping cream I've been purchasing. It doesn't seem to matter where I buy it (Aldi, Kroger, Walmart).   More than half the time, the consistency of the cream is extrmely thick and almost not pourable out of the container. It's never past expiration, or even close to exiration date, and I never let it sit out at room temperature. 

I'm posting this here out of curiosity - has anyone else had any issues with unsually thick whipping cream? It's unusable for some recipes when it is llike that and I'm getting tired of throwing my money away!

On a slightly different note, but while I'm musing about dairy oddities, I may as well ask this too:  The last couple of container of half and half I purchased have expiration dates that are months out. This morning I bought some thar expires in mid september!  I looked at the ingredients to make sure there aren't any preservatives, and there are none listed. How can this be?  I'm pretty sure that expiration dates on half and half/milk products didn't used to be so far out. 

Something seems really weird in dairy land to me, LOL. Maybe I just need a nap. Smiley Embarassed

I'm thinking it may have to do with the fat content?  I've noticed that whole milk has a longer sell by date than 2% does.

Respected Contributor

@Anita Hug-  Funny that you should post this, because just the other day I'd bought some heavy cream for a recipe and it was within the expiration date.  When I opened it and began pouring, it wouldn't pour.  I realized that I'd forgotten to shake it up and then it was fine.

Respected Contributor

What you are buying is "heavy" whipping cream, try just plain whipping cream, you will notice a difference, more like a thicker milk.

Also, before opening the container, you need to shake it several times to mix everything up inside.

In my area, I have to pay more for the 'heavy" whipping cream and is so desired than the regular whipping cream, whips faster, better tasting, and less likely to limp getting watered down. 

Honored Contributor

The more fat content,the longer it will last.

1% milk will expire before full fat milk.

Why do you use whipping cream?

If you use it to make whipped cream, how does it work out for you?

(I know some recipes require whipping cream, which is why I ask)

I don't use whipping cream, I buy Cool Whip or Redi Whip

@Anita Hug

Trusted Contributor

I buy organic 1/2 and 1/2 and 1% organic milk at Costco and it lasts a very long time.  Someone told me it's because it organic.

Respected Contributor

@Anita Hug  That's where the extra cream went - you got it!.  I have had the exact opposite problem.  I have noticed over the past year and a half that my cream has gotten thinner (not that I need the extra calories).

As another poster mentioned, just shake the container before opening.  This will re-distribute the extra cream on top.