Super Contributor

Re: Heavy Whipping cream - too thick?

Thanks for the responses. It's not a problem of extra cream. It's just too darn thick.  I did give it a good shake, and it did help it a little bit, but not enough to use for whipped cream. I suppose I could turn it into butter!  Not all containers are like this, it's just some of them that are duds. The one I bought today was another dud.

I know the difference between whipping cream and heavy cream, lol. I've been buying the stuff for decades. This is a problem that's been happening more recently.   I do admit to buying the whipping cream more often in recent times, however. We do love our isi easy whipped cream gadget, lol

Honored Contributor

@Anita Hug  Could it be that the cream has risen to the top of the container and just needs to be shaken?  I remember back in olden times before milk came homogenized, the cream was at the top and the bottle had to be vigorously shaken.   If it's too thick to pour, add a little milk. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I don't use whipping cream....way too fattening. If ever I find a recipe and I see that it calls for whipping cream, I go onto the next recipe. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

What you are buying is "heavy" whipping cream, try just plain whipping cream, you will notice a difference, more like a thicker milk.

Also, before opening the container, you need to shake it several times to mix everything up inside.

In my area, I have to pay more for the 'heavy" whipping cream and is so desired than the regular whipping cream, whips faster, better tasting, and less likely to limp getting watered down. 

Agree; there is a difference between whipping cream and heavy cream.  Heavy cream is heavier.  I use whipping cream for whipping, and heavy cream in cream sauces and things of that nature.

~ It helps if you imagine Auto Correct as a tiny little faerie in your phone who's trying so hard to be helpful, but is in fact quite drunk. ~

I noticed the same in the past year, and it was driving me crazy until I learned that there are two different types of whipping cream. Regular is about 30% fat, and heavy is 36-40% fat. Regular whips up lighter with more volume, but also deflates faster. Heavy does not have the volume of regular, but is stable longer after being whipped. It is good for rich sauces, but sometimes solid or full of lumps and hard to get out of the container. I can’t figure out why I never saw heavy whipping cream before this year. I’ve been cooking for 50 years and never had any trouble pouring my cream until recently. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have noticed in grocery stores regular heavy cream and another product called Heavy Whipping (or Whipped) Cream. Could this be what you have?

Super Contributor

Someone bumped up my old thread from last year, lol.  No, I know the difference between whipping cream and heavy cream. What my question was talking about was cream being seriously thick to the point of having to scoop it out of the container - almost solidified. Shaking didn't help.

I'm not a spring chicken and have been cooking with the different creams for a long time, lol.  Once in a while I still get a wonky carton of the stuff - whipping cream, not "heavy" cream and it is unusable in my isi whipper.  I just find other uses for it now. I don't run away from recipes that call for some cream. Alfredo, anyone? Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I always keep a small carton of whipping cream in case someone drops by and I can put some on a cake or with some fruit for a quick dessert.  It does keep a long time.

But I just poured out some last week that was too thick to use, especially at the top but all over and yes I've had that happen several times and mostly to the organic ones that I buy almost all the time.  It is spreadable on top like clotted cream.  

I have no idea why that is happening!  And yes, I do know my dairy products.  But it is new to me in the last year or so.  I believe it is in the processing some way.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

i buy several different brands of heavy whipping cream. i usually just shake it up and then pour it out and use it as is in some recipes OR whip it up for fresh whipped cream (which is so much better than the stuff in a can.)

have not had the problem you mentioned.

"I would prefer even to to fail with honor than win by cheating." - Sophocles
Valued Contributor

Recently I bought at Costco the same organic heavy cream in a red package that I buy in supermarkets.

The one from Coscto was much better,even if it is the same brand.Maybe their fridges are colder.

We always have heavy cream ,because we also use it with pasta.We saute fresh sage with butter,then add heavy cream, nutmeg and Parmiggiano Reggiano.

Never had problems with the cream being too thick.