Honored Contributor

Hearty Beef & Sweet Potato Stew (Taste of Home Cover Recipe Sept/Oct 2015)

This recipe is calling my name.  I plan to make it as soon as the heat breaks (if I can wait that long).

Link to Taste of Home Hearty Beef & Sweet Potato Stew

Beef

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Re: Hearty Beef & Sweet Potato Stew (Taste of Home Cover Recipe Sept/Oct 2015)

Looks really good to me too.  I'm probably in the minority that loves turnips and parsnips tho.  I'll be making this in the fall.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hearty Beef & Sweet Potato Stew (Taste of Home Cover Recipe Sept/Oct 2015)

Looks de-lish!!

I was at the butcher Friday and he had stew meat on sale. I passed, like you I thought...meh, too hot out to bother.

Been ages since I've made root vegetables like rutebegas or turnips.They truly are so healthy! My grandmother used to add rutebegas to her mashed potatoes because they would help stretch her budget.

Respected Contributor

That does look good.  I've always wondered if sweet potatoes would be good in mine.  I love them.  

Rutebegas are usually a requirement for my stew, I'll use turnips if they aren't available.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I don't think I've ever had a rutabega.  I have to look and see if Wegmans carries them.

It's only been about 5 years or so since I discovered parsnips and turnips.

I don't think they were readily available on Long Island when I was growing up.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

This looks delish!  It will probably be a few more months before it gets cold enough in the deep south to enjoy this.  I love adding root veggies to stew, especially sweet potatoes, turnips, cutaneous, and parsnips.  Thanks for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

WOW!  That looks so good!  My Mom didn't make many root vegetable when we were growing up, so they pretty much didn't exist to me until now.

I might give this a try this weekend, since DH and I don't have any plans.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

I just looked at the recipe.  I am so making this on Saturday!  It will give me the perfect excuse to buy a red wine!

ETA: VaBelle, thank you for posting this!  I always forget about TOH recipe bank.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.