Valued Contributor

Re: Have you ever heard of baking banana bread in a can?

One of the secretaries in an office I used to work in baked everyone a pumpkin bread in a cylinder can every year for Christmas. It was a little novelty thing and I venture a guess that it saved her the money of having to buy some 40ish disposable tins.

Anyway, I always thought they were cute.

Maria

Respected Contributor

Date bread in a coffee can is an old tradition. To get it out of the can, all you do is open the closed end and push the bread out. I have never had problems with sticking. Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor

I used to bake holiday breads in large and small coffee cans. The crust came out even and they made lovely gifts.

Never tried it in one of these

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 tesspoodle said:

HouseCat...I bake my quick breads in 1 and 2 lb cans all the time...especially at Christmas as I give them as gifts...grease the pans well and only fill a little over half full...they do come out beautiful...Tess

We don't eat much canned food, but I'll be on the hunt now for the perfect size cans! I can't wait to do this for Thanksgiving!

Thanks, Tesspoodle, for explaining how to get it out of the can.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Don’t use a can that’s white on the inside–those are coated. A can that’s had something relatively low-acid, such as green beans or spinach, will do fine.

BPA’s have only been a problem for the last 3 decades and the full extent of the damage caused by them has yet to be seen. NEVER heat BPA lined cans and eat food from them. Parchment paper nor oven bags can protect you from that! T

he best thing to use is unlined tin canned food cans. They look the same way on the inside as they do on the out side. There has been no scientific proof that you can get tin poisoning by cooking in tin cans several times a year. We use Coffee cans that are not lined. Be well educated when ever you cook in something. However you are always safe with cast-Iron and Tin cans. :-)

Honored Contributor

Yes, my mother and grandmother baked bread and cakes in coffee cans, and Crisco cans for many years. Mom used her refrigerated roll dough, let it rise above the top of the can, and then she would bake. As a kid, I thought it looked very strange---like a big mushroom growing out of the can, but we loved the bread, and fought over the huge end piece! The only cake they baked in a can was an applesauce cake that was quite solid.

Honored Contributor

The thing I use most from cans is pumpkin puree because I add it to my dog's food daily. I think they are 14 or 15 oz and not coated. Those should make nice gift-size loaves.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

For fancier gift giving, you can bake cakes and breads in Mason Jars!

Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 Zhills said:

For fancier gift giving, you can bake cakes and breads in Mason Jars!

How do you get them out of the jar?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Wow. I hadn't thought of that in decades, but my mom did do this back in the 70's! Thanks for the great memory!