Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever heard of baking banana bread in a can?

Oh, this thread brings back precious memories. No I never baked breads in coffee cans but when I was a kid my grandmother and my great aunt baked Boston brown bread and corn bread in cans. It was fun for the kids, I remember taking some to school for lunch and the other kids would would oooh and ahhhh over round bread. I can certainly see that it would work for pumpkin bread and bananna bread.

Honored Contributor

Thank you! I'm looking forward to making these for Thanksgiving gifts for my coworkers. I know I've never seen anyone give them in previous years. Poodlepet, I like the Tootsie Roll reference. I was thinking of using white parchment paper with colored ribbon on each end. I hope school security doesn't think I'm planting bombs!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

House Cat, I found a recipe by Judy Drietz online under " banana bread in a can". She uses a 15 oz. Can and fills it half way and bakes it at 350 for 40-60 minutes. You can always check it: I always keep a supply of bamboo skewers for the purpose of checking cake- tooth picks are too short! Hugs and happy baking, Poodlepet
Frequent Contributor

What a lovely blast from the past.

My paternal grandmother baked artisan breads as a home business. She supplied a half-dozen IGA markets in the little towns surrounding her farm. I can still remembe,r as a small child, when we'd pack the car for a trip to the grandparents, we'd always have a box full of coffee cans my mom and dad had saved for grandma to bake in.