Honored Contributor

Have you ever heard of baking banana bread in a can?

DH says his mom always baked it in a recycled can, so the bread would come out in a cylinder shape and then she'd slice it into circles.

I can't imagine the reason for this.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever heard of baking banana bread in a can?

Yes, my Mother would always bake bread in coffee cans.

Honored Contributor

She did this when making Christmas treats for family and friends. It made a pretty plate.

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking it would be difficult to get it out of the can.. maybe if you grease it enough?

I wonder if it's safe.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/26/2014 Sister Golden Hair said:

Yes, my Mother would always bake bread in coffee cans.

Hi SGH{#emotions_dlg.wub} Mine too. She baked all our bread when I was small and I think really the coffee cans were because she did not have enough loaf pans for all the bread she made. She made huge batches of white, wheat and raisin bread.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I always wondered how they got the paint off the coffee cans back in the day. All the coffee cans were painted in red or blue then had painted detail over that. They were metal with aluminum. Maybe they had more steel in them back them. They were murder to open with those old can openers. Then later on they had a strip of metal sealing the can. Then you used a key to open the can. I can't tell you how many times I broke the strip and could not open it.

My grandmother always used coffee cans for her Easter Bread. But the paint was off. How did they do that?

Regular Contributor

I don't remember banana bread, but my mom baked raisin bread & pumpkin bread in cans. I think she used vegetable/fruit cans, though. One year she added one of those small loaves to the plates of cookies & candies she gave to friends & neighbors at Christmas.
Frequent Contributor

HouseCat...I bake my quick breads in 1 and 2 lb cans all the time...especially at Christmas as I give them as gifts...grease the pans well and only fill a little over half full...they do come out beautiful...Tess

Honored Contributor

The reason for this is to have round bread and cakes! When I was a girl, we used to "wow" the HS bake sales with the novelty of round cakes. Life was a whole lot simpler then!
Super Contributor