Honored Contributor

Re: Have you come across a new cookbook lately you really like?

I just got "Meat on the Side" by Nikki Dinki.

She was a contestant on Fodd Network Star and went pretty far in the competition.

I know her uncle so I followed the show closely.

Every recipe has a full page color photo. She uses meat, but more as a condiment than as the main course.

The recipes I have tried have turned out great. This is the perfect time of the year to use her book - I go to the farmers market every week.

She has a blog too if you want an idea of what her recipes are like.

Honored Contributor

I have a new system for cookbooks.  I check them out from the library and if after I read them I still want them I buy them.  If there are just two or three recipes that I am interested in I copy them and return the book to the library.  In the last couple of years the only one I liked enough to pay for was Heart and Soul in the Kitchen by Jacques Pepin.  Of course that does not explain why I have two bookcases full of cookbooks!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl

That sounds like fun!  

Esteemed Contributor

DiAnne, it is the most fun.  We are very lucky to have one member who has a great kitchen layout so that we can cook some dishes together.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I've stopped buying cookbooks except for Ina and Pioneer Woman.

I am really looking forward to Ina's new cookbook.  I am hoping it gets back to her basics and everything is new.

Her last 2 books were just re-done recipes with a new ingredient.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I've stopped buying cookbooks except for Ina and Pioneer Woman.

I am really looking forward to Ina's new cookbook.  I am hoping it gets back to her basics and everything is new.

Her last 2 books were just re-done recipes with a new ingredient.

@VaBelle35 I am looking forward to reading the reviews on Ina's new cook book (and am kind of bummed that Amazon doesn't have any preview pages as I would like to get a little bit of the feel of the book itself if that makes sense).

I also received an email earlier today from a website that I subscribe to for their email blasts (Dam* Delicious) and her cook book is coming out soon too.  I love this site as she has delicious and easy to make recipes and if you email her proof of purchase of the book she'll send you additional recipes in an e-book.

If anyone is looking for easy and delicious recipes, I would highly recommend looking into both her website and her cook book when it launches.

Honored Contributor

I just bought "The Dutch Oven Cookbook" by Williams-Sonoma test kitchens.  It is a tiny little book, has beautiful full-page photographs and very basic recipes that look great and are a good variety.  A few are:

Carnitas with pickled red onion

Coconut braised chicken thighs with lemongrass

Curried Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

Faux Chicken Pho

Bouillabaisse

Five Spice Beef Stew with Green Beans

Gnocchi with Beef Ragu

Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Almond Gremolita

Summer Vegetable Lasagna

Maple Bourbon Short Ribs

As well as a few other sides, main dishes, cinnamon rolls, bread and a cherry crumble with white chocolate streuset.

Now many recipes, but I bought it because it is a little book I could pull out and quick make a recipe for company or  for us.  Sort of a basic book that you could change a few items in the recipes and make them with pantry ingredients.

I am a sucker for a book like this!  Not TOO many choices and all of them look like something you could count on that people would eat. 

I think they have others in this series--so check them out if you are in a Williams-Sonoma.  Would be a neat book for a shower gift with some kitchen towels and tools.

Valued Contributor

My hubby is a cook book nut.  I don't use very many of the recipes out of them so I wait until  I think he's forgotten and throw them in our yard sales.  He gets them at yard sales so...    My favorites are the collections from church or organizations.  Down home recipes that you can use as a guideline and make them your own.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I just bought "The Dutch Oven Cookbook" by Williams-Sonoma test kitchens.  It is a tiny little book, has beautiful full-page photographs and very basic recipes that look great and are a good variety.  A few are:

Carnitas with pickled red onion

Coconut braised chicken thighs with lemongrass

Curried Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

Faux Chicken Pho

Bouillabaisse

Five Spice Beef Stew with Green Beans

Gnocchi with Beef Ragu

Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Almond Gremolita

Summer Vegetable Lasagna

Maple Bourbon Short Ribs

As well as a few other sides, main dishes, cinnamon rolls, bread and a cherry crumble with white chocolate streuset.

Now many recipes, but I bought it because it is a little book I could pull out and quick make a recipe for company or  for us.  Sort of a basic book that you could change a few items in the recipes and make them with pantry ingredients.

I am a sucker for a book like this!  Not TOO many choices and all of them look like something you could count on that people would eat. 

I think they have others in this series--so check them out if you are in a Williams-Sonoma.  Would be a neat book for a shower gift with some kitchen towels and tools.

@Sooner . . . Maple Bourbon Short Ribs? . . . sign me up my friend! . . . wow that sounds great!

Valued Contributor

I would love to be able to do that but our library doesn't have much of a collection of current cook books.  In fact I think I own more cookbooks than they have!