Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Noticed a Change in a Favorite Food Product?

On 1/29/2015 peachesncream said: Premum Saltines are thin and crumbly. We have started buying Zesta brand, when we can find it. Check sour cream before you buy it. Many brands are adding junk to it and using skim milk and adding thickeners. Daisy brand is still real sour cream.

My admin was just discussing the change in saltines to me yesterday.

Agree about Breyers. We grew up where Breyers (before Sealtest bought them out) was king. I had some last year? Awful. Like frozen milk you left out on the porch. I agree that Turkey Hill is among the best. If I get to eat ice cream (a rare treat) that's what I buy.

I can't stand the processed food in the US and it gets worse all the time. To cut corners on rising prices, they throw in more water, chemicals and other cheap additives. I hate it. It was very noticeable when we were out of the US for three years and came home. It was a shock. Nasty tasting food.

Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Noticed a Change in a Favorite Food Product?

I got some Daisy cottage cheese this week and it looked like it had been extruded from a machine. Each curd was the same exact size and shape. This is not how cottage cheese usually looks. I agree on the sour cream being fake, but Daisy doesn't seem any better. I now use Greek yogurt because at least, it's yogurt and not as you say, milk and fake stuff.

I hate what's happening to our food. I had dinner tonight at a banquet; the meat was spoiled. (I wasn't the only one to detect this.) The plate showed up refrigerator cold, teh broccoli wasn't cooked (raw) and the potatoes were a stiff lump. What happened? They cooked the steak before, and refrigerated it. But when it was still too warm, and in the cold room, it was able to grow bacteria. Meanwhile the broc was put on the refrigerated plate, just before serving. The potatoes were probably peeled off a wax paper and put on the plate and it was either microwaved or put under heat lamps to heat before serving. The potato lump was hot in center, cool on outside. Probably waved. We had to hand it back, and I was asked by the management if I wanted something made up to replace it (we had preordered.) I declined; no time--we were having talks, and also, what else was that kitchen NOT doing to handle food.