Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Noticed a Change in a Favorite Food Product?

On 1/26/2015 meezerpleezer said:
On 1/26/2015 Madisson said:

You mean other than getting a lot less for your money?

Yes, you get a lot less for your money. Notice that Folgers has dropped the amount in the can AGAIN. It is a lot less, maybe 22 oz. for the same price as when it was 30 oz. or so.

Also, I forgot to mention that my parents and brother both remarked that the lemon pound cake which was my grandmother's recipe, doesn't taste "lemony". I use McCormick Lemon extract and always have. The recipe calls for 3 tsp. of lemon extract and now, I have to add 5-6 tsp. to get the same great lemon taste. This has been going on for several years and I don't think that it is an accident. I know that my parents sense of taste may be declining but not younger people.

Try Loran flavorings; they're much better. Walmart has some varieties (by the Wilton stuff), Hobby Lobby and Michael's here carry it, and I've even found it in Ross and Marshall's. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

On 1/28/2015 colinka said:

Maybe I'm getting old and my taste buds are changing, but I just can't stand the waxy taste of the M and M's and other chocolate candy products. American-made chocolate candies just don't taste as good as they used to. Of course, this is good for my figure, but I find that I crave a really good piece of chocolate-creamy, melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Anyone have some recommendations?

I was reading that a lot of cocoa beans are now GMO; that might account for the change in taste. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

If you have a Trader Joe's, their "Pounder Plus" chocolate bars (milk, dark, and with almonds) are excellent; only $4.99 for 18 or 19 ounces. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I love the milk chocolate - it's nice and creamy.

Publix has a section that has foods - including candy bars - imported from Europe. You might find the European version of some of your favorites there; most European countries ban GMOs.

Super Contributor

So much food is bred for long life not taste, think of how tomatoes have changed over the years. I try to only buy local tomatoes, or organic canned ones, they have the best flavor. Heirloom tomatoes are wonderful, but you need to eat them quickly. Even after a few days they start to go bad.

Contributor

I am a raddish addict but no longer buy them in grocery stores. They have no heat! I wait till my local farmer's market starts up and then I indulge. I've gotten spoiled by that market in general with Amish butter, local goat cheese and eggs and all the fun produce.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/25/2015 wildcat fan said: We're noticing differences with milk going sour way before the date on the carton. I checked my refrigerator temp, and that's not the problem. I bought milk from another store last time, and it seems to be lasting longer, so maybe it's the store's refrigerator.

I've been buying organic skim milk for quite a while. It lasts much longer - even the expiration date is longer. I don't like milk and only use it for cereal and shakes. I share it with my dog 'cause she loves milk! A neighbor switched after complaining about her milk no longer lasting: no problem now with the organic.

Ritz and saltines - tick me off 'cause the price went up and the quantity is much smaller. And, even graham crackers are smaller!!! Like they make the boxes the same size and they're gonna fool us{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/28/2015 PamelaSue72 said:
On 1/25/2015 forrestwolf said:

Oh my......you have no idea what you are missing by not having a microplane grater and a real wedge of just Parmigiano-Reggiano, or Parmesan cheese.......So much better, and you will not complain of no taste........Kiss

Oh, I just love a good wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano, my favorite over Parmesan. I always have a nice wedge in the fridge. Kraft is yellow sawdust.

Ditto{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} just wish you could get a good cheese for less that $8 though...

Respected Contributor

Premum Saltines are thin and crumbly. We have started buying Zesta brand, when we can find it. Check sour cream before you buy it. Many brands are adding junk to it and using skim milk and adding thickeners. Daisy brand is still real sour cream.
Trusted Contributor

I have noticed that there are less cheese slices in a package of sliced cheese.

I am talking about different kinds of cheeses like Swiss, Cheddar, etc. I am not talking about processed American cheese slices.

You get less cheese in the package, but still pay the same price.

Super Contributor

Just yesterday I found a 20 year old ice cream container while cleaning under the sink. I use it to store cleaning utensils. I am going to go to the market and take a picture of the new ones (it's a store brand, made by Edys/Dryers) and see the difference in ingredients. I know it's no longer a half gallon. We don't eat dairy any more, so a picture will suffice. - Bird

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 wildcat fan said: We're noticing differences with milk going sour way before the date on the carton. I checked my refrigerator temp, and that's not the problem. I bought milk from another store last time, and it seems to be lasting longer, so maybe it's the store's refrigerator.

I've gotten to the habit of buying only our local milk while at the grocery store. It is a lot fresher and lasts a lot longer!

"Pure Michigan"