Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Invited Guests Over For Dessert

It's a wonderful idea, imo.

Honored Contributor

I love the idea and yes I've done it before.

Honored Contributor

Yes, indeed.  I've invited people for dessert & coffee and we have been invited to others home's for that.  A lot of people do that.  However, it's usually a little more than dessert and coffee.  Usually there is some type of finger food.  I serve finger sandwiches but some do chips& dips or appetizers.  If it's in the eveing, we also serve wine and beer.  But that isn't necessary.  It's the perfect way to entertain because it's inexpensive and it doesn't require a lot of work and your guests won't stay to long.  If you think your husband will enjoy it, do it.  

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

Yes!  Gajillions of times! It's my favorite thing to do!  Just be clear when you invite, that it's dessert only.  There is a a more polite way to phrase that, but you need to be clear. My friends enjoy 7 pm, because we're all oldsters who prefer to eat dinner on the early side. When we're off from work, I'll often tell them to come by after lunch for cake and coffee.  Everyone loves it and I get to bake!

That is what I was thinking. After lunch  come over for (dessert) cake and ice cream. Thank you!!

Some older people go to bed early,  7pm would be too late for them and 3pm would interfere with their dinner because they also eat dinner early.  1 pm would be resonable for some but I do agree that she should be clear  "please come over at 1pm, after lunch.  I'm serving birthday cake to celebrate Bob's birthday".  That way people won't be expecting lunch.

Honored Contributor

You would need to make sure the guests know it's for dessert only.

If I were going to do something like that, I would do it in the evening after everyone has had their dinner.

Respected Contributor

My birthday party was a success!! Everyone enjoyed themselves and thought of having just dessert was a great idea! In fact my Sil is having the same thing for her DH this Wednesday as it is his Birthday he will be 78. I was tickled that everyone loved it. Thank you everyone for your  kind comments and helpfulness.Much appreciated!!

Esteemed Contributor

I think the idea is fine.  However, I would do it in the evening and state it is for cake and ice cream.  If you have it earlier, the guests might stay until later and then expect a meal Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I think it sounds very nice, keep it simple and just enjoy his Birthday. I would be thrilled if I was invited to something like that. 

Respected Contributor

Very sensible idea. Those friends who have to drive a ways will avoid rush hour, night driving, etc. Diet restrictions are not a big deal and all enjoy.
Every summer our family has a week long gatherimg at a lake. We have had a community dinner which was fun. With family numbers increasing it’s getting complicated getting everything done together and hot. We are thinking of making dessert/Horsd’oeuvres gathering. Utibsils will be simpler and gathering time will be increased.
Respected Contributor

I think it is a lovely idea, very enjoyable.  Only thing I would not want to do this at 1 p.m. too early but maybe around 3 p.m. kind of ‘tea-time’.  Enjoy.