Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Invited Guests Over For Dessert

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Yes I have and so did my Mom from time to time with family or friends.  It is a nice change and more relaxing with everyone including the hosts to visit.  Remember the days of inviting a friend over for coffee around the kitchen table?  Dessert time just after lunch time or dinner time is perfectly fine and fun.

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Yes!  Gajillions of times! It's my favorite thing to do!  Just be clear when you invite, that it's dessert only.  There is a a more polite way to phrase that, but you need to be clear. My friends enjoy 7 pm, because we're all oldsters who prefer to eat dinner on the early side. When we're off from work, I'll often tell them to come by after lunch for cake and coffee.  Everyone loves it and I get to bake!

That is what I was thinking. After lunch  come over for (dessert) cake and ice cream. Thank you!!

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Big Joanie : I can no longer do a lot of baking from scratch. I use the Betty Crocker cookie mixes that are in a pouch. I bake several varieties. The guys always expect a to go box to take home, and at Christmas they consider the box a very special gift and prefer this rather than any other gift. I use the zip lock rectangular storage containers  and the guys return them for next year refills. Southern Bee 

Yes its amazing .. its not unusual for the guys to skip the cake and dive

into the chocolate coolies .....

Honored Contributor

It's a birthday cake!  Why not at 1 p.m.?

Let guests know it's just for birthday cake.  They will have eaten lunch/brunch by then anyways.

I wouldn't call it inviting them for *dessert*.  I would call it *inviting them for birthday cake in the afternoon*!

Respected Contributor

Sure, Why Not?  They're your friends, what's the worry?  If they are " Formal" aquaintances then give a time frame. Like, Come celebrate DD's Birthday with us on B-Day from 1:00 to 3:00.  Cake, libations and lively conversation provided.  I find time frames especially helpful for afternoon and early evening get togethers that are not true meals. Helps to keep things from being awkward.  But if all are familiar than Anything goes!   Have Fun!

Esteemed Contributor

It's a terrific idea! I'd love to get an invitation in the early afternoon for ice cream and birthday cake! Not at all cheap and tacky - go for it! Not every gathering has to be a meal!

Honored Contributor

Most of us go to 10:30 mass & brunch afterwards.  

Having a early dessert would be fine.  I had "dessert" a couple months ago -- i served bday cake,  ice cream & drinks.   But, I did have some snacks - pretzels & popcorn on table too.

Happy Birthday to your DH🎂🍨🎈🎁🎉

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd be more inclined to invite them for snacks, cake and ice cream if it  is at lunch time.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

It's a terrific idea! I'd love to get an invitation in the early afternoon for ice cream and birthday cake! Not at all cheap and tacky - go for it! Not every gathering has to be a meal!

So would I.   I think it's a great idea.   Come celebrate DH's birthday with cake and ice cream.  I'd have it around 1 or 2, after most people have had lunch.   Kids have cake and ice cream at their afternoon birthday parties, why can't we??  

Honored Contributor

Great idea but I would do it at 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  Let people have their lunch, get settled a little then go out.  Also I think they would be more ready for desserts and snacks.

At my mom's house on Thanksgiving and Christmas lots of people came for desset at her house.  It was an accepted tradition and all were welcome.  

I'm not a senior either.  I'm just old.  I'm not graduating from anything!  LOL!!!!