Trusted Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Use Canned Chicken Breast Meat?

I use it for chicken salad sandwiches, I have also used the canned chicken in chicken noodle casserole tastes good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am NEVER without canned chicken in my pantry; one of few things I buy at Sam’s.    I use it for chicken pot pie, chicken noodle and chicken tortilla soup as well as chicken casseroles, chicken and dumplings, chicken chili, chicken quesadilla, etc.   I do not like it for chicken salad, because of the texture, and prefer breast and thigh meat in my chicken salad.  

Honored Contributor

I use it all the time to make chicken salad. It is delicious.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we use the Kirkland brand from Costco. My husband especially likes to make a salad with it for a snack.

I have never seen or heard of a whole chicken in a can that some of you speak of.

Honored Contributor

so funny this came up because we had lunch at a friends house a few weeks ago. She served chicken salad lettuce wraps, they were delicious.

I told her it was the best chicken salad I've had in awhile (besides my own).  I thought she was going to say it came from Sam's because I know they sell it premade.

I was so surprised she told me it was Bumble Bee Chicken packed in water from a CAN!  Our Publix had it BOGO I picked up a few cans.

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for the reviews!  I am all in and am going to try it.  It sure would be handy for some gumbo or a pot pie!  

I appreciate every one of the responses!

Honored Contributor

I use it all the time for gnocchi and chicken tortilla soups.  If I am making a root soup or others where I need broth (I refuse to pay for broth at the prices they charge now), I will buy a chicken and boil for the broth, debone it and use the bones twice for making broth.  The broth is much richer than the packaged broth and you can make about 5-6 soups from the bones of one chicken.  

Trusted Contributor

No I will not eat chicken that comes from a can.  Chicken is so easy to cook.  Why would you want to eat the canned stuff?

Honored Contributor

@IamDoodleswrote:

No I will not eat chicken that comes from a can.  Chicken is so easy to cook.  Why would you want to eat the canned stuff?

I don't follow you.  Are there some kind of chickens that the canned meat comes from that is different from the ones you find in the poultry section of the meat department?  Are they not the same kind of chickens?  Are some of them of another breed that we are not supposed to like?  They are all inspected. I can actually can meat using my pressure cooker from those same chickens.  So what is the difference?  Of course, they use preservatives but so does that can of tomatoes or sauce you put in your food.

Honored Contributor

@Dankywrote:

I have never had canned chicken breast........however !

When I was a kid, my Grandmother opened a big can and out slid a whole,

cooked chicken.....for some reason I started to gag and remember the experience 60 years later....

I remember those too as a child.  I think it was Swanson but not sure.  We had a restaurant so my mother tried everything imaginable that was palatable for cooking and I remember the big old canned chickens sliding out.Man Very Happy