Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Had See's Candy?

See’s Bordeaux 💕💕💕 Two stores in town. Also love their eggs at Easter.
Can’t even compare to icky waxy tasteless Russell Stover or Whitman’s. 🤢
Of course, really expensive European-style is some of the best
Esteemed Contributor

My father used to travel when I was a kid and he would bring it back for us to eat.  I guess as a child all candy tasted good to me.  The name however brings back fond memories of him.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Sees (even gave out their candy cigars when my son was born) but it's definitely not the best candy I've had.  That honor goes to Giffords (was in MD, VA, D.C. and closed its doors over twenty years ago (I heard people literally sat down and cried when it closed--I would have too had I been in MD at the time).

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama :  A relatively inexpensive chocolate that I love is Swiss, Toblerone.  You can buy it at Costco or Wal-Mart (yellow wrapper, triangle shape).

Frequent Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I just read that it was one of the best candies to buy. I never heard of this candy and never saw it in any stores.If you have had it where did you buy it and is it better than other candy. 

We like them!  Discovered See's when we were in CA....I like their non-chocolate assortment and love their peanut brittle.

And don't get me wrong.  I ❤️ love chocolate too! 

Super Contributor

my brother sent me a sampler of see's candy years ago. i seriously have never tasted anything so good. loved it. 

Valued Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I agree that See's is good, but not great.  I would not go out of my way to buy it or eat it again.  While it is available in more places now, it started in California and on the west coast many people think it is the best ever made.  

I tend to think many of this type of thing can be regional and what we grew up with as a child often leaves lasting memories of how special it is.  It is sort of like Krispy Kreme donuts - if you grew up in an area where these were popular you tend to think they are the gold standard in donuts, but others may not like them nearly as much. In our area Krispy Kreme moved in about 10 years ago, opened a bunch of locations and failed miserably in this area.  They are all long since closed and long gone.  As for the candy, the popular brand in this area was Fannie Farmer - that was the special candy people bought and there were local Fannie Farmer chocolate shops where people went to buy their favorites and for gift giving.  Fannie Farmer was sold years ago to Fanny May Candies out of Chicago.  All the local stores closed and now it is only available in this area online.  I think it is part of a big conglomerate that also owns 1-800Flowers, Cheryl's Cookies, and a bunch of other companies.  Just like @itsmagic, my favorite is the dark chocolate butter creams - that is really the only type I buy, but the Pixies (like a turtle - choc, caramel, nuts) are good, too.

We still have Krispy Kreme here in So.Cal. (And I’ve lived on the East and West Coasts and Sees will always be a favorite! David Muir even did a great story on the history of Sees in one of his “Made in America” segments.

Yes the are very good. If you are looking to buy online check out "Ethel M choclates" they are in Las Vegas. THE BEST SOOOOOOO GOOD. BUT SEE'S R VERY GOOD ALSO. If you look you can make up your oun box.

Super Contributor

my brother sent me some years ago. it was the best chocolate i ever had. delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

@baileys mom  :  I agree that Ethel M's candy is great!  Have you ever taken the factory tour (free samples at the end)?