Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Had Bad Bacon?

Yes, it was a brand we don't usually buy. 

I hate lots of fat on my meat, so prior to cooking the bacon in the oven, I trim off all the fat on the edges. This particular time, about 2/3 of the product was fat. Gross.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I've had bacon that's too thin, too salty.   I couldn't eat it.

I'm very picky. 

@Mary Bailey I would have rinsed it, and stacked four pieces together. Woman Wink

@Sooner   at home I really would too, but this was in a resturant.  Now I just order ham if it's off the bone.

at home we have Tender Belly bacon from Butcher Box

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never. 

Bacon has such a soothing effect. Have you ever noticed it's almosts impossible to be in a bad mood after you consume bacon??? 

Actually, I picked up two center cut bacon packages today.  And the best part is they were on sale $3 off each! Will have to make some before the storm hits.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't call it bad but I've bought the same brand of bacon and sometimes it's not as flavorful as other times.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

yes---and from a local farmer that I buy meat from every 2 months----now it wasn't spoiled, but it was way too fatty and had an odd, wild taste to it---all his animals are grown organic and humanely, and all the other things are fabulous--just the bacon was not good---maybe I should have mentioned that to him--- I don't buy that anymore--his sausages and burger is divine----

Honored Contributor

@wagirl Absolutely tell him.  Older maybe male hog butchered too late in life. . . I'll bet that's the cause.  Or maybe where he has it processed they gave him someone else's bacon.  I have known of that happening.

Respected Contributor

I don't buy prepackaged bacon. Instead, our grocery store sells it in the fresh meat department. I can buy in any quantity. My favorite is their brown sugar or pepper bacon. 

Respected Contributor

We love bacon.I bought a no name brand bacon from price rite that not that it was fatty but almost didn't taste like real bacon. We ate it but I won't buy it again no matter how cheap it is.

Honored Contributor

I find that bacon varies dramatically from package to package even within the same brand. It's never inedible, but you don't know what you're getting until you cook it. I've had some shrink up a ton in the cooking process. Some fries well but will microwave poorly. Some will microwave well but will fry up poorly. Most bacon will cook okay in the oven so that's how I cook it all these days. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

the only bacon that i personally consider "bad bacon" is bacon with turkey meat......why bother? it tastes NOTHING like a good piece of bacon! i can do some brands of turkey sausage, but not turkey bacon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein