Honored Contributor

Have You Ever Had Bad Bacon?

Not of course bacon that is spoiled, but I am saying fresh bacon that was just awful and you couldn't eat it?

I have not.  I have had some I didn't like as well, but awful?  No.  Can't eat this? No.  

My favorite?  Wrights thick cup peppered, but any of it?  It's BACON!  Salt, fat and sugar in one strip you can eat with your fingers!  I hardly ever eat it now but OH wow!  BACON!  

Let me say however, I do not want it in candy, in a malt, on a donut, or something stupid like that.  I just want a piece please by itself. Or alongside an egg or waffle. Or biscuit.  Or on top of baked beans. Not in fudge. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Had Bad Bacon?

I have a love for bacon. It is good on cheeseburgers, too. Let us not forget the famous BLT. I do prefer a balance of lean to fat. I really don't enjoy lean bacon as much as I do bacon that has more fat.

Honored Contributor

@On It Ever try some thinly sliced avocado on a BLT?  If you like them, it is a wonderful thing!  I know, more fat. . . 

And actually I like the leaner bacon--so we'd both be happy with one another and rack of bacon!  LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I've had bacon that's too thin, too salty.   I couldn't eat it.

I'm very picky. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner   Your last sentence "not in fudge" really made me laugh!  Is that a thing??  LOL

And, no, I've never had bad bacon.

Honored Contributor

Mercy me no.  Not even a bad bacon bit in a salad.  Bear Creek is my favorite bacon I get from a gourmet shop here in town.  Oscar M. works just fine too.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Sadly, yes I recently had bacon I did not like.  

We purchased 50 lbs of fresh hog meat thru a local FFA; the hog had been raised by a student, was killed and processed by students and experienced adult hands in an inspected county site, and the money we paid went to the student and the school.  

Fresh pork does not taste anything at all like what my husband and I remember.   The bacon was extremely bland and boring regardless of whether we pan fried or cooked in the oven.  I didn't even keep the bacon grease to use in seasoning!   I gave several packs away, and used the last pack in pea salad.   

I also gave the sliced ham and some sausage away, altho the sausage mixed well with ground beef for meatloaf, and with store bought hot sausage for holiday sausage balls.   

Between breeding and diet, fresh pork has become the other white meat and it's just not the same to old timers like us.

Honored Contributor

I don't  like bacon that is too fatty and shrinks up to nothing.  

I have had maple bacon ice cream - delicious!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Sooner   Your last sentence "not in fudge" really made me laugh!  Is that a thing??  LOL

And, no, I've never had bad bacon.

@Citrine1 Yes, I have seen fudge with bacon in it.  Somebody doesn't put enough salt in their fudge if they need bacon. . . I mean really.  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I've had bacon that's too thin, too salty.   I couldn't eat it.

I'm very picky. 

@Mary Bailey I would have rinsed it, and stacked four pieces together. Woman Wink