Honored Contributor

Re: Has this ever happened to you… friend continues to bring you awful food?

The ingredients might not agree with a dog or other pets. Be careful.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Either onion and or garlic is toxic to cats. That I know for sure. Careful what's in pot roast gravies, juices, etc. and don't feed to cats.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Last year I read Whoopie Goldberg's book "Is It Just Me?" and in it she stated my sentiment to this kind of situation. Just show appreciation for any "gift" (which food is as well) and let it end there. No need to school people in why you cannot accept it. Its a gift and its given in kindness so its easy to say thank you and then its yours to do with as you wish. Any effort to reject it, even a kind one will invariably hurt feelings and its easier to just show love in return by graciously accepting "stuffed iguana" and letting them leave happy they gave you something. A lifetime of thinking about others and their feelings is more fruitful.

Respected Contributor

FunkyHulaGirl: What a wonderful thing you did for your firm's customer!

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2014 FlowershopGirl said:

Last year I read Whoopie Goldberg's book "Is It Just Me?" and in it she stated my sentiment to this kind of situation. Just show appreciation for any "gift" (which food is as well) and let it end there. No need to school people in why you cannot accept it. Its a gift and its given in kindness so its easy to say thank you and then its yours to do with as you wish. Any effort to reject it, even a kind one will invariably hurt feelings and its easier to just show love in return by graciously accepting "stuffed iguana" and letting them leave happy they gave you something. A lifetime of thinking about others and their feelings is more fruitful.

OK. So why shouldn't someone pushing food on me think about my feelings when I say it isn't something I eat, or I've lost my taste for it? How come is a sin to say that? Why should someone be made to be feel guilty for saying it? The longer I live, the less I get that concept. I guess I'm just getting old and cranky but I find myself less thrilled to constantly feed other people's egos. And it is always the same ones isn't it?

Super Contributor

If someone gave me a food gift, I would accept it and throw it out if I didn't like it. I would let my friend know as gently as possible, that I didn't care for the taste, so she won't waste anymore of her time and money making me such a gift. IF we're really friends with each other, being truthful should only make our friendship more special.

Honored Contributor

After all these years, and her being a good friend, you can't tell her the truth now. That would only hurt her and expose your lies. You have no choice, accept the soup with grace and toss it out. That's what I do when my sister gives me a pan of her stuffed shells. They are always bland, tasteless and she overcooks the pasta. My husband insists that we eat a little of it to make up for the lie.

Honored Contributor

I think if you tell her that you are on a diet and have to cut out so many ingredients that you must now cook your own food.Tell her you save your cheats for dining out.you could say you mostly consume raw foods at this time. New Years resolutions can change old habits
Trusted Contributor

Yes...my mother does this all the time.

At Thanksgiving, she made us an extra apple pie...which is horrible, and none of us like it. She uses way too much nutmeg and it is just inedible.

I gave it to the birds outside...they enjoyed it.

She also cooks with too much salt, so you have to watch when you start eating her food.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/3/2014 house cat said:
On 1/3/2014 DoubleDown said:

No - my friends are really into cooking, so whatever they make is really delish. Matzoh ball soup is really unappetizing.

It figures. Even your friends are perfect.

When it comes to food, they are. Two of them went to culinary school.